Anarchist
    Jan 2004

SRAM Chain Question

Why does SRAM include in their chain instruction manual for the user to never clean the chain with degreaser or citrus based cleaner?

This eliminates most of the bike specific degreaser/cleaners as well as products like simple green or petroleum product.

How does one clean a chain besides with water and dish detergent (providing no citrus base)?

Dish detergent doesn't do a great job on chains and is time cunsuming if one is to do a good job.

Why would degreasers or citrus based cleaners be harmful?

Any insight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vladamir
    Why does SRAM include in their chain instruction manual for the user to never clean the chain with degreaser or citrus based cleaner?

This eliminates most of the bike specific degreaser/cleaners as well as products like simple green or petroleum product.

How does one clean a chain besides with water and dish detergent (providing no citrus base)?

Dish detergent doesn't do a great job on chains and is time cunsuming if one is to do a good job.

Why would degreasers or citrus based cleaners be harmful?

Any insight?
    Good question. I've used SRAM chains for years and have always soaked them in SImple Green with no ill effects. During the season, I remove and soak the chain about once every 2 weeks and never had any problems. It's not like you can shorten the life of something that lasts a half season anyway. That's why I buy the cheapest chains I can find. PC-58, 59's etc.

bang
    i think the reason is because of the lube they use (sram chains are lubed brand new). soaking and removing this lube supposedly makes the chain wear out faster, from what i've read here. i do however use a simple green soaked rag to remove any excess lube on the outside (since that does nothing but attract dirt) when the chain is new, or to clean the chain when it's dirty. maybe someone else can give a definitive answer, or call sram about it (again).