Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram Cassette on Shimano Drivetrain?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  SoCalDesertRider 
#1 ·
Does SRAM still make a Shimano Compatible Cassette?

I'm looking for an alternative to the poor fitting/sloppy XT CS-M760 Cassettes that are currently on the market & was wondering if an SRAM Cassette is the way to go for my Shimano drivetrain (XTR derailer & Dual Control Shifter).

Any body using SRAM & if so what model in a 9-speed cassette?

Thanks,

Elzippo

#2 ·
I use a SRAM pg970 (cheap) 11-32 cassette with my shimano xt rear der, raceface next lp cranks and an xtr front der and it seems to shift just as smoothly as with an xt 9 speed cassette. I got really tired of the xt cassettes wearing out in less than one season of riding and I really got fed up with them when they increased the price to 70 something bucks!

#3 ·
Elzippo said:

I'm looking for an alternative to the poor fitting/sloppy XT CS-M760 Cassettes that are currently on the market & was wondering if an SRAM Cassette is the way to go for my Shimano drivetrain (XTR derailer & Dual Control Shifter).

Thanks,

Elzippo
I think all 9 spd cassettes are the same spacing and can be used with your 9spd shimano shifters and derailer. It's the sram x series rear derailers and shifters that will not work with shimano rear derailers and shifters.

However I don't think the sram cassettes are any better quality than shimano. Equal maybe. Better is very debatable.

#4 ·
kokothemonkey said:
I got really tired of the xt cassettes wearing out in less than one season of riding and
How many times did you change your chain during that time period?

#5 ·
Maida7 said:
I think all 9 spd cassettes are the same spacing and can be used with your 9spd shimano shifters and derailer. It's the sram x series rear derailers and shifters that will not work with shimano rear derailers and shifters.

However I don't think the sram cassettes are any better quality than shimano. Equal maybe. Better is very debatable.
Maida7 has it right.

I switched from a SRAM PG-950 11-34 to an XT CS-M760 11-34 on my XT hub and the one shifts just as well as the other. I notice no performance difference. The XT was lighter (~1/4-lb), more expensive ($35 vs $75), and didn't fit as tightly on the hub as the SRAM. The loose fit was disappointing, but so far hasn't caused a problem with the shifting. The PG-950 seems to be about equal with Shimano LX, and the 990 seems to be about the same XT. The 990 and XT are very close in price and weight. I chose the XT because people here were saying that it lasts longer than the 990. XTR is the lightest, but I couldn't see spending $150 on something that wears out and needs routine replacement.

I had the 950 cassette on a bike that's shifted with an X-O Gripshift and X-9 derailuer. Now it's on another bike with a Deore trigger shifter and LX derailuer and it works just as good on both bikes and works as good as the LX cassette that it replaced on that bike.

#7 ·
I have a SRAM chain and cassette, with a shimano Deore derailleur.

I skip a lot on the 7th ring in back, wtf.

Any suggestions? I think the b spring needs adjustment, along with my limits.

#8 ·
A heads up on compatibility ... The 2004 SRAM 950 cassette is only compatible with Shimano chains. Weird, I know. I only found out about this from an MTBR review of the cassette, after I bought a new cassette and it wouldn´t work smoothly with a SRAM chain (now fine with a Shimano chain). The review pointed out that the SRAM specs for the 2004 cassette said the compatibility was only with Shimano chains; I checked the SRAM site and sure enough it´s true; the stated chain compatibility for the 2005 cassete however includes SRAM. Anyone having a compatibility problem should check the SRAM site.

#9 ·
Elzippo said:

Thanks,

Elzippo
I have an older XT cassette (forgot the model) 11-34 with the 5 arm spider. Shfting is sloppy and sometimes hesitant on the lower 2 gears, but everything else is smooth as can be. I'm using the old-school non-rapid rise XTR derailleur.

I used to use exclusively SRAM cassettes with my Shimano drivetrain, and it's always worked.

#11 ·
Yeah but...

"The XT was lighter (~1/4-lb), more expensive ($35 vs $75), and didn't fit as tightly on the hub as the SRAM. The loose fit was disappointing, but so far hasn't caused a problem with the shifting. "

Yeah it won't typically cause a problem with your shiffting but what it will cause is your cassette body to wear out pre-maturely from the sloppy fit on the splines.

I think I'll give the SRAM cassette a shot as I justt had Hugi replace my Aluminum Cassette body due to the crappy fitting shimano cassette wearing it out.

#12 ·
Elzippo said:
"The XT was lighter (~1/4-lb), more expensive ($35 vs $75), and didn't fit as tightly on the hub as the SRAM. The loose fit was disappointing, but so far hasn't caused a problem with the shifting. "

Yeah it won't typically cause a problem with your shiffting but what it will cause is your cassette body to wear out pre-maturely from the sloppy fit on the splines.

I think I'll give the SRAM cassette a shot as I justt had Hugi replace my Aluminum Cassette body due to the crappy fitting shimano cassette wearing it out.
That is a concern I have with the loose fit of the XT cassette, although my XT hub does have a steel freehub body instead of aluminum, so that should make it last a little longer.

I've heard that some XT cassettes need a special spacer behind them to make them fit tightly on some years of XT hubs? My XT hub is '04 or '05 and the XT cassette is '05, so far as I know anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.