Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram cassette issue...if your having shifting problems

560 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  larlev 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had the little alen screw holding the cogs become loose causing the 970 cassette to twist under load? I know it locks on the freewheel, but with the screw loose it twist just enough to cause shifting problems. I have been having really bad chain skip, once I tightened the screw...all is good. Shimano doesn't have this screw, and it has been a problem for weeks.
Just wanted to pass along if any of you have had issues like this.

#4 ·
larlev said:
Has anyone had the little alen screw holding the cogs become loose causing the 970 cassette to twist under load? I know it locks on the freewheel, but with the screw loose it twist just enough to cause shifting problems. I have been having really bad chain skip, once I tightened the screw...all is good. Shimano doesn't have this screw, and it has been a problem for weeks.
Just wanted to pass along if any of you have had issues like this.
If tightening that screw made a difference for you I'd look for something else being loose. You should be able to slide all the cogs and spacers on your freehub without the screw and have perfect shifting. If the screw is loose are the cogs loose on your freehub?

#5 ·
Monte said:
If tightening that screw made a difference for you I'd look for something else being loose. You should be able to slide all the cogs and spacers on your freehub without the screw and have perfect shifting. If the screw is loose are the cogs loose on your freehub?
Yes they still twist a little on the freehub without the screw. They are solid with the screw. I am wondering if perhaps my chain is to short.

#6 ·
larlev said:
Yes they still twist a little on the freehub without the screw. They are solid with the screw. I am wondering if perhaps my chain is to short.
What do you mean by "twist"? Just rotate on the FH body or skew to the side? The first should make no difference in shifting. The latter would mean you have some lateral play and need to tighten the lock ring or add a thin spacer behind the cassette.

#7 ·
shiggy said:
What do you mean by "twist"? Just rotate on the FH body or skew to the side? The first should make no difference in shifting. The latter would mean you have some lateral play and need to tighten the lock ring or add a thin spacer behind the cassette.
They twist to the side. It's tight as can be so maybe I do need some sort of spacer. The weird thing is my deore cassette works fine, with no play whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.