My gloves stink

SRAM cassette gouging my freehub splines

Hi gang.

I've got a Sram PG 970 cassette on a WTB freehub. The cogs are gouging the splines of the freehub. It appears the torque load is being transferred to the freehub by individual cogs instead of being spread over the entire interface between the cassette and the freehub splines. What gives? Is it supposed to work that way? It's definitely taking a toll on my freehub splines. Because of the way it's constructed, I know the XT cassette on my other bike spreads out the load.

I was going to email Sram about it but apparently they don't want customers bothering them- I couldn't find an email address on their website.

Your thoughts, please.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Hi gang.

I've got a Sram PG 970 cassette on a WTB freehub. The cogs are gouging the splines of the freehub. It appears the torque load is being transferred to the freehub by individual cogs instead of being spread over the entire interface between the cassette and the freehub splines. What gives? Is it supposed to work that way? It's definitely taking a toll on my freehub splines. Because of the way it's constructed, I know the XT cassette on my other bike spreads out the load.

I was going to email Sram about it but apparently they don't want customers bothering them- I couldn't find an email address on their website.

Your thoughts, please.
    That's what happens with aluminum fh bodies and those type of cassettes. Mine did that, the cogs will go so far and stop. If you really don't like it, get a different cassette or a steel or ti fh body. I'm pretty sure that's what SRAM would tell you.

Monte

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've noticed that the largest cogs of most of the Shimano cassettes are bolted together with three stout 2mm screws. SRAM uses a single 1.5mm screw to hold them together. It could be that, because of the attachment method, Shimano cassettes spread the load across the cassette better than the SRAM ones so they don't dig into the cassette as easily. The more expensive cassettes from Shimano use carriers which spreads the loads. The SRAM 990 I just bought still has the largest cog connecting directly to the freehub body while the next 5 or 6 cogs are attached to a plastic carrier (this is all from memory). This design puts most of the load on the largest cog. Not the way I would design or build such a device.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm running an XT cassette with my WTB Laserdisc Lite rear hub. The hub itself is great, but the freehub is gouged from the cassette. I guess the aluminum just isn't strong enough. However, I only notice it when I take the cassette off, so I leave it on.