mtbr member

SRAM Attack Trigger shifter

I have been using SRAM Attack trigger shifters with Shimano XT derailleurs for the past 12 months or so. I rear shifting has been a dream but the front trigger shifter seems too sensitive. When I want to down shift from the large ring to the middle ring I tap the appropriate thumb trigger and down it shifts - as long as the trail is pretty smooth. If the trail is rough the shifter jumps from the big ring down to the down to the granny gear - like a double shift. It is not the front derailleur as the indicator on the trigger goes from 3 down to 1. When I first starting riding this combination the odd shift only happend once in a while now it is everytime the trail is rough and I try to go from the big ring to the middle ring. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone got a fix for it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    sounds like a faulty shifter, unfortunately.

that it happened from the outset seems odd; i figure it's out of warranty now too. but it simply shouldn't happen; something must have worn out inside the mech.

you may need to replace it.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Freshly Fujified

Cable stretch?

Have you checked the cables since you installed the derailleur? Could be cable stretch or just simply some fine tuning.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    i agree with clyde, sounds like cable stretch.

put your bike in 1x1 and move the FD w/ the set screw until it is barely away from the chain. then tighten the cable until it moves the instant you tap the shifter.

if need be tighten the outside set screw so you don't throw the chain off the 3rd chainring when you upshift

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Have you checked the cables since you installed the derailleur? Could be cable stretch or just simply some fine tuning.
    Clyde, Cable is new and I'm not sure what "fine tuning" to make. When I am on smooth trail or pavement the shift drops from 3 to 2 and the chain moves from the large ring to the middle but as soon as the trail gets rough - so i cannot be as precise on the shift and it double shifts everytime.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    given that the indicator also changes from 3 to 1, it doesn't sound like a maladjusted FD. the mech inside the trigger is slipping = stuffed, IMO.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

Your bike is incorrigible
    Carefully take the shifter apart and check for any broken or worn bits, then reassemble. The way I figure it, you already have a messed up shifter; what do you stand to lose by taking it apart and inspecting it?

Mine have been working flawlessly for going on two years. I don't know how many times I've messed around with the derailleurs, trying to get everything lined up perfectly, but the one thing I can count on is my shifters working properly after being reconnected. Yep, there is something wrong with the shifter itself.

mtbr member
    oh. missed that part.

my bad

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    when you pull it apart check the position of the spring. Its an odd arrangment and it can be in wrong position. This will affect how it shifts. Other than that just wear. I have same set up and its perfect so does sound like shifter issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorbut
    when you pull it apart check the position of the spring. Its an odd arrangment and it can be in wrong position. This will affect how it shifts. Other than that just wear. I have same set up and its perfect so does sound like shifter issue.

Well now I am guessing it is rider error because I purchased a new shifter for the front (the step up from the attack rocket or something) and rode yesterday - I had the same double shift twice on the ride - much less frequently than it was happening before with the attack shifters BUT... I really need to either not shift over the really rough stuff OR work on that left thumb control.

Still don't know why it only happens on the front other than my uncoordinated left hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found I had to rotate the left shifter a long way under to keep my thumb from the downshift. Didnt do much accidental shifting (a bit) but it was annoying. The pressure to shift isnt much. My left is X7, the right rocket. About the same pressure.