RMG
    mtbr member

SRAM Attack Grip Shift Issues

I have I have SRAM Attack Grip Shifters on my bike (with Shimano Deore XT rear and front shifters) and the actual hand shifting mechanism feels very tight. I have checked the shifter cable and it is tensioned properly so I know it is set up okay. It does shift throughout all the gears in the whole range of motion but it gets very tight feeling as I move through the gears..1 through 9 work okay in that order but if I try to go back from 9 through 1 the other way, it is super stiff feeling and is not natural feeling, I need to force it into each next gear.
    Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this or how I can fix it?
    Thanks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There is major drag in your system. Could be in the cable housing. Could be a crimped ferrule. Could be a frayed cable inside of the housing. Could be gunk in the housing. Could be a damaged mechanism in the shifter.

Best solution (especially if it's been more than a few months since you ran new cables). Junk the entire cable system for that shifter, run brand new cables and housing. Usually fixes most derailer problems, and cables oxidize and crap gets in there no matter what you do, eventually creating a lot of drag and keeping the system from working properly.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    There is major drag in your system. Could be in the cable housing. Could be a crimped ferrule. Could be a frayed cable inside of the housing. Could be gunk in the housing. Could be a damaged mechanism in the shifter.

Best solution (especially if it's been more than a few months since you ran new cables). Junk the entire cable system for that shifter, run brand new cables and housing. Usually fixes most derailer problems, and cables oxidize and crap gets in there no matter what you do, eventually creating a lot of drag and keeping the system from working properly.

You can also pull the shift unit apart and clean everything, then lube it with Johnnysnot (made by SRAM)
    There are really only 3 parts to the whole shifter, but make sure you look at how the spring thingie fits in when you pull everything apart.
    Good luck,
    Lenny