mtbr member

SRAM 990 cassette question...2005 vs 2006

What is the difference between the years 2005 and 2006 for this specified cassette?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    What is the difference between the years 2005 and 2006 for this specified cassette?
    For starters a shiny new red spider and lockring. Oh and about a $30 MSRP increase.....

Nothing here
    So does it work any better? I was just thinking about getting one to replace my XTR cassette.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknownrash
    So does it work any better? I was just thinking about getting one to replace my XTR cassette.
    Getting mixed reviews (that I've seen)....

I'm about to throw one on my new ride (replacing an XT), so I'll see what happens with it.

mtbr member

The '06 PG990 Cassette...

in the 11-34 have new ratios (from the 28 to the 34 I think), plus the "hot-looking" red spider.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Don't get it

About the same weight as XT for $30 more. Huh? What am I missing? XTR still rules but it completely insanely expensive for a high wear item. The new 990 looks like the biggest cog is not as spaced as last years but I could be wrong.

Jaybo

PS just get a XT and call it a day.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    The 2006 990 means i'll be using 970 or 950 from now on, that price tag is steep for a color change.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The '05 990 has a black plastic spider while the '06 uses a red anodized aluminum spider. For this they charge $30 more? I think the jump to the lowest gear is not as extreme on the '06 cassette (the '05 was a jump from a 28T to a 34T and the '06 is 30T to 34T)). At best the 990 is comparable to XT, not XTR, in terms of weight and performance so you would be better off buying XT if you are considering this cassette due to price.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    The '05 990 has a black plastic spider while the '06 uses a red anodized aluminum spider. For this they charge $30 more? I think the jump to the lowest gear is not as extreme on the '06 cassette (the '05 was a jump from a 28T to a 34T and the '06 is 30T to 34T)). At best the 990 is comparable to XT, not XTR, in terms of weight and performance so you would be better off buying XT if you are considering this cassette due to price.
    The MSRP on it is near $100, but looks like it can be had in the market for about $70, which is close to a 760 XT cassette.

I got mine last night, and it looks great for sure. The red spider and locknuts are certainly eye catching, but then again its just a cassette. I stumbled onto a ridiculous deal on it as I think the store I got it was trying to move some 05 990s, and forgot to raise their price once they were gone. I paid $46 for the new 06 990, which was about $20 cheaper than the XT.

I've got an XT 760 that is barely used, so I'll see how the two hold up over time.

Last edited by Jdub; 01-05-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Chrome Toaster
    The spacing is now the same as a Shimano 11-34. They got rid of the unusual 28-34t jump from 2nd to 1st gear. It's now a more reasonable 30-34t jump. Not sure what purpose a cool red (frakking ugly IMO) spider serves since its hardly visible once installed.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Not sure what purpose a cool red (frakking ugly IMO) spider serves since its hardly visible once installed.
    I'll respectfully disagree on the looks, I like the red spider. IMO, any aluminum piece is better than a plastic bit (like fork adjustments from RS went from plastic to alum. this year).

I was surprised at how visible the spider was once on the bike, I didn't expect it would be visible at all.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    I think the red looks good too, but weighing the increased cost vs plastic, I'll take plastic. It's a nice cassette and used to be cheap online for about 40 bucks but now too much $$$

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I'll respectfully disagree on the looks, I like the red spider. IMO, any aluminum piece is better than a plastic bit (like fork adjustments from RS went from plastic to alum. this year).

I was surprised at how visible the spider was once on the bike, I didn't expect it would be visible at all.
    Definately its much better that its now aluminium but red anodized parts are just not my thing. You won't catch me installing any parts of that color on my bike, regardless who makes them.

I Love my Rize
    The new cassettes are machined out of billet stock and are much stiffer and quicker shifting. Wayyyyy better than xt or xtr