mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Sram 8 speed trigger shifter/ derailleur compatibility .

Hey guys. I have the Yukon FX and I need to replace the rear derailleur on it with something of higher quality. It came stock with an 8 speed cassette combined with the Sram X4 RD and shifters. I like the shifters, but the RD is junk and I have destroyed it within about one month of using the bike (granted, I bought it used). As much as I would like to, finances don't permit for me to go about replacing the whole drive train at the moment, so I just want to step up to the best quality Sram RD I can use with my current setup. Do I have any options?

mtbr member
    You can use any 9-speed X-series rear derailleur. 10-speed won't work as they changed the pull ratio, but 7,8, and 9 speeds in SRAM are all the same pull. I ran and SX-5 8 Speed with X-7 rear derailleur for a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alright, thanks a lot. Looks like I'll be going with the X7 then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So I can get the 2010 model X.9 for the same $ as the 2013 X.7. I'm really not sure which one I should go with. The new X.7 has a carbon fiber outer cage which seems like it would provide some added rigidity, but I've also read pretty solid reviews about the x.9. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Most of the SRAM stuff trickles down do you certainly would be safe with an X7 RDR as long as you buy 9-speed. I believe shifters are more important than derailleurs (fro the most part).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the trickle down. I think rear derailleurs are pretty important, though. The one that came stock on my bike had a very flimsy cage and did not hold up well at all. So even though the job of the derailleur is somewhat basic, it needs to be rigid IMO. Also, I have seen complaints about springs not being stiff enough, e.t.c. All of that being said, I'm not trying to downplay the importance of shifters. It's just that my current shifters worked fine for me (in fact, I really liked them) when my RD was in good shape. We'll see how I feel about that after I try a set of high end shifters though. You can laugh, but as of now, my current shifters are the nicest I've ever owned . Anyway, I ended up getting the x.9- mostly because Jenson doesn't carry the new x.7 9 speed, and my bike shop wanted $80 to ORDER it for me (msrp $65). I really liked the idea of the carbon fiber cage on the new x.7, but I got 2010 x.9 for less than the price of the x.7, and I think/ hope it will be of at least equal quality.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with your choice, if the price is right and they have what you want Jenson is the place. I'm sure you will be please with the X9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Nothing wrong with your choice, if the price is right and they have what you want Jenson is the place. I'm sure you will be please with the X9.
    I agree. And the real benefit of the X9 derailer is that it says X9 on it, which is much cooler than X7.
    I doubt you would notice any difference in performance between the two.