mtbr member
    Jul 2015

SRAM 11-spd RD with Shimano 11-42 cassette?

Hey all,

I'm thinking of making the jump from my current 1x10 setup to a 1x11. At the moment I'm using Shimano, but I'm curious about SRAM.

Can I use a SRAM RD with a Shimano 11-42 cassette? I've gathered that the Shimano cassettes shift a bit smoother (correct me if I'm wrong), and my rear hub uses a Shimano driver. Swapping it out to an XD driver would be expensive, but doable.

What I'm considering for the drivetrain:
    GX or X1 11-spd RD
    XO1 or XX1 11-spd Shifter
    Shimano 11-42 cassette

If anyone has any advice or other recommendations, I'll take them!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So I have used both Shimano and SRAM 1x11 setups. What you are looking at doing will work, I would recommend running a Shimano chain to match the cassette.

If I were making the switch to 1x11 and using a Shimano cassette I would honestly use an XT RD and XTR shifter, to me the Shimano stuff feels nicer (smoother shifting) and is more cost efficient. That's a personal thing though, if you are dead set on trying a SRAM shifter and RD it will work with the Shimano cassette.

Just for reference I am currently running an XTR shifter, XT RD, and SRAM X dome cassette with the 10-42T range on my favorite bike. My other bikes have GX 1x11 on them.

mtbr member
    It's working great for me. XT 11-42 cassette, X0 derailleur, X0 grip shift ( hence the SRAM).

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Two bikes, both running XT 11-42 cassettes, GX rear derailleur, and X1 shifters. Cheapest SRAM 11speed chain. 30t rings.

Both work beautifully!

I did need to adjust chainline on one of the setups a touch, in order to fix the dropping off the big cog once in a while. 1mm spacer behind the cassette, moved the crank/ring in board by 1mm as well. Problem solved!

I think that was more an issue with that particular frame/hub combo though.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    If I were making the switch to 1x11 and using a Shimano cassette I would honestly use an XT RD and XTR shifter, to me the Shimano stuff feels nicer (smoother shifting) and is more cost efficient. That's a personal thing though, if you are dead set on trying a SRAM shifter and RD it will work with the Shimano cassette.

Just for reference I am currently running an XTR shifter, XT RD, and SRAM X dome cassette with the 10-42T range on my favorite bike. My other bikes have GX 1x11 on them.
    I demoed a bike with a SRAM drivechain a few weeks ago - it was a short ride - and I left with at least an interest in SRAM. To me the shifting felt a touch crisper than my XT setup, and I liked how the shifter felt. I believe the demo bike had either GX or X1.

I'm also investigating the talk that's been going on this year about Shimano's business practices. Shimano has made parts very inexpensive for us, which is great, but it seems they've done so at the expense of bike shops. I'm not sure I jive with that completely. And running with SRAM would support jobs in Chicago, which is not too far from where I live. Local economy and all that.

Ideally I think I'd eventually switch to all SRAM, but the upfront cost of the XD driver for my Chris King hubs is more than I can swallow in one purchase. A stepped change to 1x11 with a low-end Shimano or NX cassette and SRAM shifter+RD is more doable, and I'd replace things when they wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Two bikes, both running XT 11-42 cassettes, GX rear derailleur, and X1 shifters. Cheapest SRAM 11speed chain. 30t rings.

Both work beautifully!

I did need to adjust chainline on one of the setups a touch, in order to fix the dropping off the big cog once in a while. 1mm spacer behind the cassette, moved the crank/ring in board by 1mm as well. Problem solved!

I think that was more an issue with that particular frame/hub combo though.
    Thanks for the tip!