mtbr member
    Jun 2010

SRAM 1071 repair

I recently replaced the chain on my Epic with a SRAM 1071 (hollow pin, 10-speed chain). Unfortunately, I didn't know that the links weren't reusable, and so now I have two Powerlinks in my chain (I broke the chain where I tried to reuse the normal links). What I'm wondering is, is there a "safe" number of Powerlinks to have in a chain? Obviously the entire chain shouldn't be made of them, but I'm wondering if I'm going to be riding a shoddy chain if I end up with 3 or 4 in there.

Also, is there an easy way to remove the chain as I have it now? I'd prefer not constantly replacing Powrlinks, if possible. I've heard Wipperman links are good. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Even though Sram says not to reuse 10s powerlinks, many are doing so with no issues. I keep chains and master links married for life, so they'll wear at the same rate. That means a link might be reused a few times, but I don't get carried away.

If you want to reuse a powerlink, open it carefully using a pair of longnose pliers to open it. Otherwise you can always use Connex links which have no restrictions of reuse.

I don't know why you added another connector instead removing and either reusing or replacing the first one. But to answer your question, you can probably use as many as 56 powerlinks on a 112 link chain with no issues.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.