Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Squeaky disc brakes????

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brianthebiker 
#1 ·
I bought my GF (now fiance) a new mtn bike last summer as hers was about 8 years old. Well, out on a ride this weekend, the disc brakes squeaked when they were applied. As we have not done a ton of mtn biking (we also road ride, and she sometimes cannot make the mtn rides I do bc of her work), I am wondering at what point is it normal for disc brakes to squeak, and once they do, do they need servicing?

I have V-brakes so know little to nothing about disc brakes.

TIA

Brian

#3 ·
trailrash said:
Are the brakes squeaking or making a high-pitched squeal? Try cleaning the rotors off with isopropyl alcohol. That might calm the noise.
Thanks much.....will try that. FWIW, they have not been cleaned since the bike was new.

#5 ·
fatire_mtb said:
...also, clean the pads and make sure the rotor is still true. sometimes a slight bend/warp in the rotor will cause squeaking as well.
I will clean the pads and check the rotors too, but I don't think that a bend in the rotors is the cause, as both front and back are squeaking, and I think it is highly unlikely both rotors are bent. But I will check that out anyway.......eliminate all possibilites and you will have found the problem. Thanks;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.