SS in CO

Square Taper or ISIS/other cranksets...

so I'm building a bike and I need a crankset. it's my first build and I don't know a ton about cranksets. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about ISIS BBs and cranks. so should I really hold out until I can find something square taper on eBay? I've been looking for Race Face Turbines, but they're hard to come by. so is it that big of a deal to get square taper rather than ISIS? if you have any ideas about a good crankset (for not more than $150 would be nice) let me know. I have XT's on my current ride, but I'm looking for a black crankset for the new bike. (I don't mind the XT's, so if there's something like them only in black...) thanks for the input.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

banned
    Hmmm..

Shimano Hone cranks.. dunno the price.

Go on www.bikeman.com and find some Square taper stuff on there.

mtbr member
    Ano of the Shimano Octalink BB cranks work great and you can find them for cheap prices right now. The LX M572 has black arms and silver rings and can be had for $85 + BB cost.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...2-Crankset.htm

Shimano Hone is pretty close to your price at $165

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Another vote for the Hone

Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Hmmm..

Shimano Hone cranks.. dunno the price.

Go on www.bikeman.com and find some Square taper stuff on there.
    Going for about $140 street

mtbr member
    If you have a Trek dealer near the new Bontrager Race crank that is made by Truvativ is solid black even the rings. It is the new GXP outboard bearing design. Nice and stiff.
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

If you actually need a new crankset then you may as well go for the outboard bearing style, it's what will be "normal" for the near future, at least until the new latest and greatest technology is adopted by the major suppliers. The LX and Hone are reasonably priced. Forget Isis, it's not worth it; Shimano Octalink is better if you need to go that semi-traditional bb route (as has been mentioned you can get a great deal on octalink cranksets as they're being closed out now). If you already had a square taper crankset you can still get parts, but bb quality and ring availability have declined greatly over the last few years.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique