mtbr member

Spiderless cogs and drive shell wear

So I want to build up a 29er wheel using a Hadley SS hub and run 4 or 5 cogs with 8 or 9 speed spacing. My biggest concern is having loose cogs on the drive shell. Will it cause major divets? The Hadley shell is Ti. Are there certain cogs that would minimize damage...Shimano vs Sram? Are there better hub choices?

ups and downs
    If you use the wide base SS cogs like the Endless Bikes Kickass Cogs, you're close to 9 speed spacing and you can add spacers to get to 8 speed spacing. There's no shift ramps or tooth shaping though, so shifting would be less than spectacular.

If you use cogs from any of Shimano/SRAM cassettes without the spider, they'll all have the same tendency to cut into the freehub splines. Have a read through Sheldon Brown's info on custom cassettes as only some cogs are compatible with each as far as ramp spacing and location if you actually want to run a rear derailleur.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#custom

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ramp spacing compatibility is only a concern if you want the fastest shifts. If you don't really care, and with only 4 or 5 cogs on it chances are you don't, then its not a big issue to worry about. The thing is not gonna refuse to shift. All the ramps and teeth profiles do is speed up the shifting, not make it impossible to do them without it.

As to the divets and wear marks, its because of people running individual cogs that Hadley switched to a titanium freehub body (and why shimano used them on XTR and DuraAce for years). Titanium is a much harder material than aluminium is.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Master of None
    I have been running 6 cogs for a while now from a Shimano LX 9 speed cassette. Previously I had a standard Syncros hub with steel freehub and I did not notice any wear after removing them. I just upgraded to the Hadley SS hub and put all 6 cogs on there. I don't know about wear yet though.

I ground out the locating notch (the narrower one) in nearly all the cogs so I could line up the shift ramps. With the cogs I selected it worked out pretty well and my range is 32-12. Without lining up the shift ramps it shifted like poo, probably because the number of teeth jumped is larger than normal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    I have been running 6 cogs for a while now from a Shimano LX 9 speed cassette. Previously I had a standard Syncros hub with steel freehub and I did not notice any wear after removing them. I just upgraded to the Hadley SS hub and put all 6 cogs on there. I don't know about wear yet though.

I ground out the locating notch (the narrower one) in nearly all the cogs so I could line up the shift ramps. With the cogs I selected it worked out pretty well and my range is 32-12. Without lining up the shift ramps it shifted like poo, probably because the number of teeth jumped is larger than normal.

Interesting presslab about the grinding and lining up the shift ramps. Please report how the setup w/ the Hadley works. Seems like the driveshell should be ok as long as its not aluminum.

Harrumph
    Surly's SS cogs are made so they space out to a 9spd spacing if you stack a few together. With a taller teeth and no profiling they won't shift as fast as a Shimano cassette, but if you are asking this question I'd guess you don't really care. And the base of the cogs is wide so they won't dig into your freehub body. At 20-30$ a pop it would be a spendy way to build a 5-6 speed cassette, but you'd be laying down some serious abusive miles to wear them out.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness