mtbr member

Spider size Question

I bought this spider off of ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3301wt_1074 No big deal right, My sprocket is a 32T 4 bolt Blackspire. Wont fit sprocket to small. Is it possible this spider is a 110. Thats not a common size.

Former Bike Wrench
    Nope...the spider is probably 112 BCD 4 bolt which is what the stock XTR-M952 DH spiders were.

Sounds like the seller mis-represented the product. The only spider that is 104 BCD for those XTR cranksets is made by Middleburn.

Do It Yourself
    Agree. Most likely 112 from an ignorant seller.

You can also use an M750 XT spider for 104 BCD. Good luck finding one though, it's been some years. You could try to find some old cranks somewhere. They have to be out there somewhere. Some of the later M751 models were pressed on but with a little dremel work, the spider can be recovered.

http://www.bikeparts.com/productinfo...963-58403.html

But honestly, I wouldn't bother. You can get some nice TruVativ or lower end Shimano (LX/SLX) external bb cranks and have a stiffer stiffer system for $100.

e.g. http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...-M582+Crankset
    Long Live Long Rides

the catalan connection
    Sorry if kind of hijacking the thread, but I'm in a bit of trouble, I guess. I have just fitted the Middleburn spider on some xtr 952 crankarms and the Middleburn splines do not fully fill all the spline depth of the cranckarm. They are shorter. Have a look at the pic. Is that normal?
    The lockring tightens all fine (and I can snap on the circlip back on) and despite the offset, there is not really any play in the padaling direction.
    Could be that the crankarm splines change from one model to another? Becouse these are the DH set, but as far as I know the crankarms are the same...

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider size Question-21022010.jpg  

Spider size Question-21022010_002.jpg  

Last edited by What&son; 02-16-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    I havent received mine yet its slated to be here tomorrow. From the looks of your fabulas pics it seems their all like that. Everyone i see has the deep cut out. The teeth keep the side to side so as long as the diameter of the is tight it should be ok. I see what you mean though not very precise coming from a company like middleburn.

the catalan connection
    illini, I see you bought an XTR. That is gonna fit perfect...Thanks for the input though.(and sorry for hijacking your thread)
    Maybe someone else has the Middleburn and can confirm that that is normal?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    illini, I see you bought an XTR. That is gonna fit perfect...Thanks for the input though.(and sorry for hijacking your thread)
    Maybe someone else has the Middleburn and can confirm that that is normal?
    Oh no i have a middleburn on the way. I returned the mentioned xtr it is the 112 spider. I didnt know about them. I will let you know tomorrow what mine looks like.

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Guys, I have 2 sets of XTR cranks 1 with a Middleburn spider the other set with the spider from a set of old LX cranks, the LX spider needed a bit of work with a Dremel to get it to fit as it was too thick. I will have a Look at the Middleburn spider when I get in from work tonight.

the catalan connection
    Thanks guys! Im looking forward for your feedback.

Do It Yourself
    As far as I know, the Middleburn spider is specifically designed for the Middleburn crank. It fits the XTR but not as nicely as a Shimano spider. I used the M95x cranks for years and used every combination possible with a variety of Shimano and aftermarket spiders. Although I've never used the Middleburn specifically, the Shimano spiders had the best fit. But at this point, I understand availability is a problem. I have since sold off the stockpile, jumped on the external bb design (XT HTII) about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Mine is same as yours What&son. It works though.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    As far as I know, the Middleburn spider is specifically designed for the Middleburn crank.
    Well now you know something more:

Quote Originally Posted by Middleburn
    XTR spider

The XTR spider is a replacement for the spider which comes with XTR cranks, allowing you to run your choice of chainrings.

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by illini
    Mine is same as yours What&son. It works though.
    Thanks illini, so yours also have the offse-like fit? Good. See,I decided to get in contact with Middleburn and sent them the pics.They answered (amazingly fast) that that was normal and that the different shape was becouse the xtr-Middleburn spiders are meant to fit with earlier XTs as well, which have longer splines.
    Im going to put the whole thing together now...
    Thanks guys

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Well now you know something more:

I see now that the Middleburn is using a different pattern on their cranks and the XTR is pure aftermarket. Learn something new every day.

I still don't think it's worth it verses upgrading to a modern crank.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    I see now that the Middleburn is using a different pattern on their cranks and the XTR is pure aftermarket. Learn something new every day.

There is a reason why Middleburn makes a spider for this crankset

the catalan connection
    I actually "downgraded" to it from a xt 760 crankset that was working perfectly fine.
    100 e-bayed crankarms new in box/ 50 for the spider/ 55 for the BB/ 30 for a new TA 32 middle ring (becouse the XT wouldnt fit) altogether around 235. For that price I could just get a new 770 crankset and keep 40 for a nice dinner. Sometimes I do strange things. I will think about it for a while...

mtbr member
    here is mine, i dont care how crappy they look i like em. i have about 52 in the arms and new xtr bb. i have blue chainering bolts on the way. This bike is my winter project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spider size Question-pp.jpg