mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Spider Loose.... time to upgrade?

I have a 05 Stumpy FSR Comp with Shimano Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline Cranks. The spider is loose and I don't see how I can get it tightned?? I can see that it is held on to the crank arm by a lock ring but can I tighten this somehow??

Or is it time to upgrade? I am a heavy guy (240lbs) so I wonder what would be a good crank to purchase?

Thanks
    profturk

There is a Shimano tool (don't remember the model off the top of my head, but I believe Park has one in their lineup of bb tools) that tightens that lockring (although I thought that style of lockring/spider wasn't available in the XT Octalink versions; I had an XT M-739 square taper crank that had that setup and could use my lockring tool from my XTR M-950 crankset). You might have damaged the spider's locking threads already by riding it loose, though and you may need to replace the crank. Take it to a bike shop, they probably have the tool and can tell you if you need to replace the crank or not.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the response. Has anyone had any experience with tightening the lockring? Is this something that will prone to fail in the future?

How much of an upgrade are the XT products?
    thanks,
    profturk

mtbr member
    I had the lock ring on old STX-RC cranks come loose. I tightened it about 6 years ago and rode it for another 3 years after that without it ever loosening again.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by profturk
    thanks for the response. Has anyone had any experience with tightening the lockring? Is this something that will prone to fail in the future?

How much of an upgrade are the XT products?
    thanks,
    profturk
    I changed the spiders out on my M739 and recall there was a snap ring that needed to be removed for removal of the spider (i.e. before you crank off the lockring), so watch out for that, it's hard to see at a glance. You can damage the threads if you don't: I found out the hard way, but got a lot of good use out the crank before that and used it in various configurations (double ring, single ring setups, substitute spiders) by the time I forgot about the snapring one day...

If you're simply tightening that shouldn't be an issue, but if you feel something funky in the threads (if you can tighten the lock ring at all with your fingers), maybe you might want to check it out further.

Not sure what you mean by upgrade as you have XT now?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I

Not sure what you mean by upgrade as you have XT now?
    Took my crank into my LBS (where I purchased in Oct of 07) and he said that it was a problem on the older Stumpy's. Low and behold there is a old thread on here where people believe they were getting XT cranks but they really are not. Anyway, LBS is going to upgrade to "true" XT cranks and BB for me for no $$

Thanks,
    profturk