Thread: Spend My Money!

mtbr member

Spend My Money!

Spend my money! Give your own pocketbooks a break for a bit and use your knowledge to help me make some wise purchases.

I need a new crankset (and bottom bracket) and chainring for my singlespeed. I am a big boy, I ride very very hard, and I trash cranksets, particularly those with square taper interfaces. For these reasons, my first priority is durability and I want a bashring. I want to install the components (I have access to any necessary tools) and forget about them for as long as possible. With those things being said, I would prefer to avoid dramatic overkill - like all of you, I am looking first for the options that will be durable enough, but do not want to add a bunch of unnecessary weight to my bike. I want 175mm arms and my bottom bracket shell is standard. My budget for all of these components (cranks, bottom bracket, chainring, and bashring) is $160, including shipping. Keep in mind this is for a singlespeed drivetrain.

I know it sounds like I want it all, but you all are considering all of these same factors in researching your own purchases. Just frame your knowledge with a budget. I am just looking for the best option in my price range. So, if you could recommend the combination of products (prices would be awesome, links to specific retailers would be even better), that would be very helpful. I have been doing tons of research and I just cannot seem to figure out what my best option is, and I am ready to just take an informed recommendation and be through with it.

For what it is worth, I will also be allowing myself a $40 budget for a new chain and a new cog, if you have any recommendations for those, also.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by mattbryant2; 03-24-2009 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    I found this deal on a Shimano SLX M665 Crankset, with a bashring, for $150:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Bash-Guard.htm

This is an option I am considering. Would I need to/would it be wise to replace the chainring?

local trails rider
    I hear SLX is good. The stock chainring should work just fine, as long as it lasts. Use it unless you find someone to sell it to. I don't remember if there is anything special about the SLX chainring durability.

That chainring is 36 tooth, so you'll need a bigger cog than those running 32 or 34T rings. If you ran a 16T cog with 32T ring, you'll need an 18 for this. Try to find a cog with a wide base, to keep from damaging the freehub body.

I've had great luck with Shimano's CN-7701 9-speed chains, geared and SS. They are usually a bit spendy, though.

mtbr member
    As far as the XT option goes, I can buy an M770 (or M771) set for about $190:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=20679
    How much could I sell the rings for? Is it pretty easy to find a buyer for rings?

I am also wondering if I could get comparable strength from a Deore or LX set, perhaps at a lower price. Something like this perhaps:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7768

mtbr member
    Check out chainrings on ebay... Sometimes you can fetch a good price for these. At least you'll get an idea. I've sold rings from 10-15

I couldn't follow your link for the LX chainset, but it sounds fine. You might also want to see if you could find a Hone chainset. This is like the LX chainset but a little more burly. I'm running one on a Specialized Enduro and another on a Cove Handjob.