mtbr member

Speedplay Frog Damage w/ Frog II Cleat

I've been using Frogs for about 2 months on my CX, changed from Candy SLs. I have X2's on my SS and love them. The Frogs are just as good, if not better. I have the original Frog I cleats and have had no problems. Got new Sidi Rampa 3?s and rather than move the cleats, decided to have 2 pairs of shoes and bought some new Frog II cleats. I have been using the new cleats for about a month, much easier to engage/disengage, so they work well for CX when mounting/dismounting.

Starting yesterday, my right pedal started to have trouble clicking out. Kinda scary cause I almost biffed at the stoplight when my cleat wouldn't come out at all. I noticed that it would get stuck at the full release angle. I took off my shoe and tried to engage the cleat and didn't notice any issues w/ the pedal, cleat, or shoe. Had the same problem this morning and I think I figured out the problem.

Seems that the ramp that is used to release the cleat is notched. This notch causes the cleat NOT to disengage on the ramp, keeping the cleat stuck on the pedal. The notch seems to have started on the flat side, where it stops the cleat on engagement. (Hopefully that makes sense.) I'm guessing that because it's much easier to engage, the cleat now "slams" even more up against this flat side and has caused the notch.

This is a pain because I want to do my first CX race in 4 weeks.

1) Has anyone had this problem?
    2) Anyone know where to get cheap frog bodies?

BTW, got this on ebay, so no warranty.
    Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 08-20-2004 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Spoke to Speedplay and they indicated that I should be using a dry lube before each ride. I'm going to try the lube and see if it solves my problem.

However, a dry lube on each ride seems excessive to me. Makes the pedal more maintenance intensive. Does that sound odd to anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I had similar issue

I have been using Froggies for 3 years now. I bought the Speedplay Frog II for my new road bike and FS at the beginning of the year. I had the same problem for about two week. Called Speedplay and the really weren't alot of help. My original cleats did not have this issue. Well, after about a month, I stopped having the disengagement problems. I have a feeling they needed to broken in. Good luck!