mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Specialized v. Shimano Cranks

I have a set of Specialized "StrongArm" 7050 splined hollowtech cranks that came on 2003 bikes and were made for Specialized by Shimano (according to Specialized's website). Does anyone know what Shimano cranks they were equivalent too? They are identical in appearance to XT Hollowtech (splined) cranks except for the color. And does anyone have any experience using these cranks? I have a set that have barely been used that I'm considering replacing 3 year old, scuffed, dinged, with worn chainrings XT cranks with on a new build. Both cranks use ES-71 BB. Any help would be appreciated.

Couldn't tell you if they're relabeled XT or LX but they're just cranks, use 'em.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

-> SickLines.com <-
    Is the middle chainring aluminum or steel? If its aluminum its probably relabeled xt's, if its steel then its relabeled shimano lx's or deores.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNC
    I have a set of Specialized "StrongArm" 7050 splined hollowtech cranks that came on 2003 bikes and were made for Specialized by Shimano (according to Specialized's website). Does anyone know what Shimano cranks they were equivalent too? They are identical in appearance to XT Hollowtech (splined) cranks except for the color. And does anyone have any experience using these cranks? I have a set that have barely been used that I'm considering replacing 3 year old, scuffed, dinged, with worn chainrings XT cranks with on a new build. Both cranks use ES-71 BB. Any help would be appreciated.
    The cranks are FSA. Shimano doesn't do cranks for others and FSA licensed (in the past) Shimano's Hollowtech design. If your replacing just the chainrings then get FC-M751/752 chainrings and you'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNC
    I believe those were LX or Deore, pretty much the same thing, aside from ring material.
    Get some of the steel deore rings, they'll last lots longer than alu and are quite a bit cheaper.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Talked to a mech, they're deore cranks with funny writing on 'em. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Is the middle chainring aluminum or steel? If its aluminum its probably relabeled xt's, if its steel then its relabeled shimano lx's or deores.
    Not true. The middle ring is actually the exact same part and even part number for XT and LX. And they are aluminum.

mtbr member
    I have these cranks. They are OK I guess. Kinda flexy, but I've felt worse. They are forged and octalink V2, splined. I'm running a BS71 or something shimano BB. I saw a set go o e-I-Paid-Too-Much for about 40 bucks just FYI.
    These cranks came on my 03 Epic. I moved them to my 03 Rockhopper FSR this weekend.