mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Specialized hardrock bb removal

Sup guys.. Im am having such a hard time trying to find out how to pull a shimano fc m442 bb. I got the outer bolts off. I have the Park Tool CWP-7 with the 11.3mm and 16.3mm tips. I also have the Park Tool ccp-22. I tryed looking online and youtube but I can't find a walk through of removing the bb. I tryed pulling the crank arms off myself but no luck at all. My plans are to remove the whole crank assembly btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized hardrock bb removal-100_0345.jpg  

Specialized hardrock bb removal-100_0346.jpg  

Specialized hardrock bb removal-100_0348.jpg  

Specialized hardrock bb removal-100_0350.jpg  

'10 Hardrock disk hrdtl- odyssey triple trap pedals,anti-slip grips,deore evrythng,9spd cluster/3x

wyrd bi ful rd
    Can't you just use a plastic/rubber mallet and knock the crank arms off the octalink? Then you need a tool to remove the bottom bracket.

Unsure what BB you have but have this pdf of the BB-ES25 ...
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608715.pdf

Others who have worked on more of these bb might be able to chime in ... in case i am wrong ...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's an Shimano Octalink crankset.

Extraction using the CWP-7 is simple enough:

1. Attach the wide cup tip (in pic 1: take it off from the righthand side and push it onto the left).
    2. Unscrew the crank extractor as far as it will go without it dropping off (like in picture 1).
    3. Screw the crank extractor into the crank (clockwise direction), making sure that it bottoms out and not to cross thread. Put grease or oil on the threads to make it easier if required - it only needs to be screwed in hand tight.
    4. Use a spanner (usa: wrench) on the smaller hex section and rotate clockwise - this will push the crank off.
    5. Unscrew the crank extractor off the crank using a spanner on the larger hex section.
    6. Repeat from step 2 to remove the other crank.

Extraction using the CCP-22 is similar, except that you don't need a spanner to rotate the smaller central section because it has a handle attached exactly for that purpose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the help. But for some reason the cranks won't pull off still. So for now im soaking them in pb blaster for a few days then going to try it again.
    '10 Hardrock disk hrdtl- odyssey triple trap pedals,anti-slip grips,deore evrythng,9spd cluster/3x

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My cranks were a beast, I used an actual 2-jaw puller like they sell at the auto parts stores. I couldn't believe how tight I had to turn it, then it finally popped free. May not be the best tool if you care about putting marks on the insides of your crank arms, but I didn't.