mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Specialized Epic drive train issues

I have a new '03 Epic (small if that effects geometry) base model completely stock for now. It is hard to set up the shifting at the front, either it's impossible to shift from the middle to granny under pressure (not much either just normal riding, when I slack off the pressure it shifts nicely) or it's a fight to get to the largest ring. Obviously I sacrifice my large ring but since this is my transportation to get where I ride it'd be nice to be able to use it.
    I have had a few shops look at it and some said "buy more stuff" and others said live with it...The front derailleur is an LX which has a little slop in the joints but being brand new this might be normal and the rings/crank is a standard StrongArm II piece. I don't want to buy XTR yet because of cost and I think it would behave the same.

The other issue is that this bike is only 2 months old and I am starting to see burrs on the front teeth already even after only 4 or 5 decent rides, I think the shifting problem is related to poor quality of the rings but confirmation would be nice. I am not afrid to spend money if it'll fix the issue, I have looked at an RaceFace x-type Deus crank and rings but I don't know if that will make the problem go away or even just tolerable would be nice right now.

bang
    seems like the front derailer simply isn't set up right. besides the stops, the angle and height need ot be correct. i'd go to park tool's website and adjust it yourself. also, i'd file any burs off of the chainrings.

for what it's worth, the LX on my '03 epic works fine...

Preemptive Revenger
    check the cable guide under neath the bottom bracket. Specialized routes the front derailleur cable under there without a housing, and the guide on my '04 get's gunked up sometimes. Clean it out. In fact, clean & lube your whole cable, sliding the housings around so you can clean the whole thing. You want to make sure that these shifting problems aren't caused by cable resistance, which probably is the most common cause. Depending on your conditions, the cables should be cleaned every 5 or 10 rides.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    i've had shifting issues with my '04 Epic Marathon, but i just clean the cables and all is good. hope that helps .

my $.02

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&Burn
    I have a new '03 Epic (small if that effects geometry) base model completely stock for now. It is hard to set up the shifting at the front, either it's impossible to shift from the middle to granny under pressure (not much either just normal riding, when I slack off the pressure it shifts nicely) or it's a fight to get to the largest ring. Obviously I sacrifice my large ring but since this is my transportation to get where I ride it'd be nice to be able to use it.

The other issue is that this bike is only 2 months old and I am starting to see burrs on the front teeth already even after only 4 or 5 decent rides, I think the shifting problem is related to poor quality of the rings but confirmation would be nice. I am not afrid to spend money if it'll fix the issue, I have looked at an RaceFace x-type Deus crank and rings but I don't know if that will make the problem go away or even just tolerable would be nice right now.
    I also have a 2003 Epic, Disk version and have had the same issues. When I first got the bike I experienced lots of chainsuck. After inspecting the cranks, I noticed that the rings were burred. My solution was to switch out the granny and middle rings for Raceface rings. The steel granny has helped eliminate the grabby ring issue although with a slight weight penalty, which I find worth it. Others have changed the bb from 118mm to 113 and that seems to help as well.
    As far as the front derailleur issue, I too was experiencing slow shifting into the granny under power. I ditched my big chainring and replaced it with a bashring because where I ride is very steep and technical so I didn't use it often anyway. I still experienced slow shifting under power with my XTR front dd. I just put the bike on a stand and loosened the nut that holds the cable and played with the low limit screws until it was perfectly dialed in. Now it shifts great.
    Make sure the angle and height of the front dd is correct. Also, make sure there is not too much tension in the cable. Play with the barrel adjustment. There is a great article in the cylingnews.com tech section on adjusting your front and rear derailleur. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

to shift from the middle to granny under pressure (not much either just normal riding, when I slack off the pressure it shifts nicely) or it's a fight to get to the largest ring.
    You're trying to shift under a load? Sorry If I'm misunderstanding you but...If that's the case, even XTR isn't going to help.

I'd set everything up like the Shimano Paperwork calls for... They have a little tool that helps you get everything lined up... Then work on your shift strategy...There has been lots written on shifting strategy. Try a search here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    By pressure I mean anything more than spinning the pedals freely while coasting, I know well enough that down shifting and mashing the pedals is not going to work. Yes since I am only getting back into riding after a break I tend not to set up properly for the terain but in those cases I fall off my bike and take my lumps like the wimp that I am

Thanks everyone for the information, I will finally get a chance tonight to tear down the front and re-set it up properly. Hopefull it can be made right (I assume it can I just need to work on my wrenching) cause otherwise I love this bike to bits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thank you everyone, it was 70% the mechanic doing the work (me waves like a fool) and 30% dirt and crud in the cables... I would never have thought of that either.
    Long story short it is still a tiny little bit sensative while down shifting to the granny ring but unless I'm standing and pushing as hard as I can it's pretty fast. I even can get to the big ring easily, I spent all day reading instructions till it finally made sense.

Chutist: sorry if I sounded short I can be an ass at times and hate being told I might be wrong

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Wink

Thank you everyone, it was 70% the mechanic doing the work (me waves like a fool) and 30% dirt and crud in the cables... I would never have thought of that either.
    Long story short it is still a tiny little bit sensative while down shifting to the granny ring but unless I'm standing and pushing as hard as I can it's pretty fast. I even can get to the big ring easily, I spent all day reading instructions till it finally made sense.

Chutist: sorry if I sounded short I can be an ass at times and hate being told I might be wrong
    No offence taken. This can be a hard way to communicate at times...

Glad you got it worked out!