mtbr member
    Sep 2005

spd vs crank brothers vs time

Okay right now i am riding a set of welgo wam-m3 pedals(spd). But i realy like the crank brothers candy design and am thinking of changing over. I also hear time makes good pedals. So i was just wondering if any design is beter than the others or if its just which one you like or if you want to use the most popular design or not. thanks

mechmann_mtb
    i like crank bros but the cleats wear out fast. just a price you pay IMO.

the time pedals are good for some. Aquaholic certainly does well on them!

shimano pedals aren't the best if you ever get muddy. they have improved but are still not the best. lots of people also complain about the adjustments fading over time. i did like them, just liked the crank bros more.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    i like crank bros but the cleats wear out fast. just a price you pay IMO.
    This is true of the standard cleats that come with the pedals. However, CB customer service turned me on to Quattro cleats which are made out of a harder material and have lasted me well over a year and still look new. I never got 6 months out of a "normal" pair of MTB cleats. Quattro cleats cost about the same as the MTB cleats as well.

NORCALMTB.org
    Jan 2006

Time or Crank Bros

Time is right, Eggbeater is light.
    steel hardtail, Z1 ETA 5", M4 8", UST rear wheel, WTB 2.5" & 2.1"UST, titanium flatbar, seatpost, & rails.

I should be studying...
    I'm personally I really big fan of the Crank bros pedals. Not only do they function well, but their customer service is top notch. It is true, the cleats wear out faster than shimano and the times (to a lesser extent; afterall, the times also use brass cleats), but it' not too bad. They feel very simialr to the time pedals, but for the $$$ you pay you get a lighter pedal with the Egg beaters.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe
    I'm personally I really big fan of the Crank bros pedals. Not only do they function well, but their customer service is top notch. It is true, the cleats wear out faster than shimano and the times (to a lesser extent; afterall, the times also use brass cleats), but it' not too bad. They feel very simialr to the time pedals, but for the $$$ you pay you get a lighter pedal with the Egg beaters.
    I was riding Look 4x4 (licensed eggbeater) and I always had hot spots on longer rides for my new bike I got Time Attac and so far the hotspots are gone.

Cookie Monster
    Oct 2005

I have the Time

Quote Originally Posted by northparkrider
    Okay right now i am riding a set of welgo wam-m3 pedals(spd). But i realy like the crank brothers candy design and am thinking of changing over. I also hear time makes good pedals. So i was just wondering if any design is beter than the others or if its just which one you like or if you want to use the most popular design or not. thanks
    I have time atacks and love them. Been riding in the mud and snow a lot this winter and can always clip in and out . Even when my cleats are stuffed with ice and snow. I bet the egg beaters are good too. But there is the hot spot issue, and I am afraid I would bust those up on a rock. My cents. Good luck.