Thread: SPD Pedals

OnTheTrailAgain

SPD Pedals

Ok, so I just popped my "clipless" cherry last week. That along with padded shorts opened my eyes to the revelation of MTBing efficiency and relative comfort.

Anyway, getting a new Crankset for my Roscoe I.
    Want to get a set of pedals to replace the stock Candy C's that come with the bike.

I was going to go with a Race Face Evolve XC X-Type with a pair of ATAC XS pedals based purely on looks and "wow" factor, but I'm going to make a prudent choice and go with a proven Shimano XT crankset.

While I'd love to out fit it with an XTR crankset and pedals, that's going to have to wait.

Now, pedals...I have a set of Shimano PD-M737's that I snatched from a donor bike and put on my '07 Gary Fisher Opie (these are what I learned on). I love how they feel. I don't like the Candy C's. I like the SPD's. So, I'm thinking of the following sets. Just want to here what you guys think:

Shimano

XT

XTR

How much of a difference is there between the 5 Series pedals and the XT's besides sealed bearings?
    I'm assuming that reliability wise, they are all extemely alike.
    Thanks for any advice.

Oh, type of riding: Epic Rides, Aggressive Trail Riding.
    I'm at about 5'9" @ 205lbs.

mtbr member
    I dunno if you are happy with your 737's stick with them. I've been using 747's since like '95 or so and still going strong, scratched and pretty ugly though, but still work great1 The price difference between 970,770 and 520 is great, but the weight difference is almost nothing. Not worth the extra $$$ to me though. If you feel you new pedals I'd go for the 520's. Welcome to clipless!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518
    I dunno if you are happy with your 737's stick with them. I've been using 747's since like '95 or so and still going strong, scratched and pretty ugly though, but still work great1 The price difference between 970,770 and 520 is great, but the weight difference is almost nothing. Not worth the extra $$$ to me though. If you feel you new pedals I'd go for the 520's. Welcome to clipless!
    Thank you! Thank you! It is a revelation to say the least!

My 737's are "alright", but they certainly are about to give up the ghost.
    I'm leaning towards the XT's because they seem to have the best bang for the buck factor.

I'd think that the XT's having sealed bearings give them an edge over the 520's and at not too much more
    (only about $25.) even though I'm pretty sure that the 520's would do a great job also.

What I care about the most is reliability and performance.

Usually, the higher end models of a product line in a performance oriented sport (like MTBing for example)
    are lighter and more geared up for racing. I'd give up a few grams to have the better model.

In Roading, the Ultegra Bottom Bracket is considered to be superior to the Dura Ace BB (think Ultegra=XT while Dura Ace=XTR).
    Dura Ace costs twice as much as Ultegra (much like XTR costing about twice as much as XT).

I guess this is really going to turn into an XT vs XTR thread (not in a negative way, XC racers would probably prefer the XTR for weight savings and AM/Trail guys would probably prefer the XT's for strength...or I should say "more" of either rider would prefer).

I'd like to hear what XT guys who've had or have XTR feel about their pedals.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 04-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Uhhh.... not too sure about the "sealed bearings" part. If you go to shimano cycling look up each pedal and look on their EVPD page and you'll see the axle/seal/bearing design is almost the same. They are not a "sealed cartridge bearing" type design. My 747's arethe same design. I've adjusted the bearing play once and just take the axle off the pedals, repack with grease (I prefer Progold EPX, very sliperry) and put them back together and ride'em.
    Good luck with all that.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the 520s on my bike. I have used 540s and XTR, though, and they all feel the same. You just gain durability and lose weight as you go up in the model range. I would recommend the 540s. They are almost identical to the XTs, yet a fair bit lighter than the 520s.

edit: i'd like to retract my "fair bit lighter" statement. it's only a 30 gram difference.
    Last edited by Call_me_Al; 04-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Al
    I have the 520s on my bike. I have used 540s and XTR, though, and they all feel the same. You just gain durability and lose weight as you go up in the model range. I would recommend the 540s. They are almost identical to the XTs, yet a fair bit lighter than the 520s.

From what I've seen, XT's only cost $10.00 more.
    That's why I didn't even list the 540's.
    They didn't make sense to me when the XT's were better for so little.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMAN1518
    Uhhh.... not too sure about the "sealed bearings" part. If you go to shimano cycling look up each pedal and look on their EVPD page and you'll see the axle/seal/bearing design is almost the same. They are not a "sealed cartridge bearing" type design. My 747's arethe same design. I've adjusted the bearing play once and just take the axle off the pedals, repack with grease (I prefer Progold EPX, very sliperry) and put them back together and ride'em.
    Good luck with all that.
    My 737's are on my Opie.
    I have another bike coming in next week.
    That's the one I'm pedal shopping for.

Here's what I've found on the XT's having sealed bearings:

Low-maintenance sealed bearing cartridge axles

http://www.rei.com/product/764684

mtbr member
    May 2008
    double post...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    From what I've seen, XT's only cost $10.00 more.
    That's why I didn't even list the 540's.
    They didn't make sense to me when the XT's were better for so little.

The 540's and XT's just have a different finish... mechanically they are the same. I didn't realize the price margin was so little, but I still don't see the reason (performance wise) to buy the XT's instead. They just look cooler.

OnTheTrailAgain
    The 540's and XT's just have a different finish... mechanically they are the same. I didn't realize the price margin was so little, but I still don't see the reason (performance wise) to buy the XT's instead. They just look cooler.
    Actually, the 540's look hot too.

They have a "Robo-look" to them.

But to save almost 1/4 of a pound for only $10. (540s @ 467g's vs XT's @ 362g's)? Now that's "bang for buck".

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen

But to save almost 1/4 of a pound for only $10. (540s @ 467g's vs XT's @ 362g's)? Now that's "bang for buck".
    whoa... where are you getting those weights? 540=352g; XT=350g

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just thought I'd chime in to say my 520s weighed in at 373g, which is lighter than weights I've seen on vendor's websites. Shimano doesn't publish a weight, but I think I was expecting 390-400g.

Pedaler of dirt
    I've never had a problem with xtr's, they're just solid and smooth. I'm 230lbs, ride a sixpack and while I don't ride that extremely, I will do the odd 3-4ft drop to flat.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

OnTheTrailAgain
    whoa... where are you getting those weights? 540=352g; XT=350g

I just knew someone would research the weights!

Seriously though, I just googled it and that's what came up. http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-m-540-pedal/

But, I'm more likely to believe that the two so similar pedals would be as close as you say they are.

Doesn't matter anyway I found out...both weigh more than the Candy C's I'm taking off.

bi-winning
    I liked my 520s, I like my 540s, and the XTR cost too much for my liking.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

OnTheTrailAgain
    Went with the XT M770's to match my XT M770 Crankset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    good purchase. i was looking to get new pedals for my bike because the bushings are worn in my ritchey logic pedails (the old red ones). i had decided on the 540's as from all the homework i did on them they were far better than the 520, but didn't cost much more and more or less equal to the 770. however, ended up finding the 770 on sale for the same price as the 540 and went with them instead. installed them last night and at least riding them around the hood they worked and felt great.

fyi - they don't have a nut to wrench them on with a pedal wrench. you use an allen werench from the back side of the crankset

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by golfernut78
    good purchase. i was looking to get new pedals for my bike because the bushings are worn in my ritchey logic pedails (the old red ones). i had decided on the 540's as from all the homework i did on them they were far better than the 520, but didn't cost much more and more or less equal to the 770. however, ended up finding the 770 on sale for the same price as the 540 and went with them instead. installed them last night and at least riding them around the hood they worked and felt great.

fyi - they don't have a nut to wrench them on with a pedal wrench. you use an allen werench from the back side of the crankset
    That's what I found. I was actually going to go with a set of 520's initially until I could afford a set of XTR's, but came across a set of XT's for just $10. more. Now's a great time to buy.

As soon as the set comes in, they're going right to my LBS and I'm going to have them installed (they're not charging me for installation even though I bought the set online! They Rock! I'm going to reveal who they are when my bike is completed!).

I might just take everything in and have them put everything on in one shot (bars, stem, post, saddles, go tubeless with the stock XDX's, grips and possibly Fr/Rr Der's). I got the rest of the upgrades (with me getting exactly "what" I want...no compromising) coming in at $450./shipped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Time ATAC XS...best pedal out there...shimano pedals are junk IMO