Thread: SPD cleats

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

SPD cleats

dunno if this qualifies as drivetrain, but it seems like it might...

do all (mountain) SPD cleats work with all (mountain) SPD pedals? i see several part numbers for cleats (SL/SH-51/55, others?), and several features (float/no float, single-release, etc.). How does one translate?

why i ask:
    i've got one pair of shoes with (unknown model) cleats installed. they came with the M747 pedals i'm still using. i'd like to use the same shoes/cleats with a new set of pedals (M959 or 970).

thanks for any input.

conjoinicorned
    all shitmano cleats work with all shimano pedals. there are several different types of cleats for various levels of float, and angle of release. i much prefer the multi-directional release, with as much float as available.

however....wellgo and xpedo (and other shimano clones) do not always work with all SPD pedals...so if you are using shimano pedals then use authentic shimano cleats..
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sorry, that's not correct. There were some pedal models which required their own specific cleats ie. M858. Can't remember any more and of course don't forget road pedals vs. mtn. pedals...
    Get over it!

Double-metric mtb man
    Generally, the current batch of shimano pedals and cleats are interchangable.

Where problems usually arise is that different manufacturers use different cleat designs, so those won't be interchangable between pedals from different makers. Although pretty much all of them use the SPD bolt layout for attaching the cleats to the shoes, it doen't make my crank brothers cleats work with my old Shimano pedals.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me