Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Something fell out of my front derailleur

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  thehaas14 
#1 ·
While trying to set my front derailleur height, a tiny metal rod fell out of it. The bike was positioned upside down and it came off as i was loosing the clamp screw. The derailleur is a SRAM 3.0. Where does it go?

Thankful for help!

See less See more
#3 ·
FBinNY said:
It looks like a hinge pin, so if you have a clamp-on FD, check to see if it belongs at the hinge in the clamp assembly. Otherwise, check all the swing arm pivots, and see if any are missing a pin.
Checked the clamp, checked all pivots and visible parts, but i can't see anything apparent. Went out for a test ride yesterday and today i rode the bike for hours without any problems at all. Still, it would be great to know where it goes and what it does :)

#4 ·
There's always the possibility that it has nothing to do with the bike, and fell from someplace else.

I'm having a bit of a problem scaling it in my mind, (I always use pennies or quarters as points of reference for scale in photos).

What is the approximate length and diameter?

#5 ·
FBinNY said:
There's always the possibility that it has nothing to do with the bike, and fell from someplace else.

I'm having a bit of a problem scaling it in my mind, (I always use pennies or quarters as points of reference for scale in photos).

What is the approximate length and diameter?
Im 99.99% sure that it fell out of the bike. 85% sure that it fell out of the derailleur. But there's always a chance :)

Measured the rod, it's 2mm in diameter and 15mm long.

#6 ·
I know you looked, but that's so close to what the FD clamp hinge pin would be, thatI'd look again. Note that often the clamp can work on the bolt alone because of the rigidity of the two halves, but stick a straightened paper clip up the hinge pin hole and see if there's a pin there or not.

Otherwise put it in a safe place until it's missed.

#7 ·
I know this was a few years ago, but did you ever figure out where that pin went? I was adjusting my front derailleur today (also SRAM) and an identical pin fell out. I too am at a loss for where it goes, but since you had the same thing happen to you, I am convinced it must have come from the derailleur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.