Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some questions re: chain/drivetrain

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  YukonLT 
#1 ·
Ok fellas, I have been searching this forum and reading what I can but it's so cumbersome that it can be hard to find things it seems. Here is my question...

I have a Giant Trance X1 with Shimano XT drivetrain. I just ordered a BBG bashguard and will be taking off the top ring. Erin said to take about 8 links out of my chain to get rid of extra "slop", which makes sense to me. I just need the proper chain tool correct? Also, my chain is the Dyna-sys XT HG-74, when I look online I see ones listed as SLX and XT, what is the difference? I know SLX and XT are different levels of components, but is the chain actually different?? I want to order an extra chain, but don't know if it has to be an XT chain or not. I have dealt with chains on all my motocross and enduro motorcycles, but those are easy. I'm very mechanically adept, I'm just still learning about these new mountain bike systems and would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks in advance...

Yukon

#2 ·
There should be nothing different in terms of function between the XT and the SLX version, so long as they are for the correct number of gears on your cassette. Either should perform exactly the same with your components. There may be minor differences in materials that make one lighter or more durable than the other. Likely the SLX version would be heavier but possibly more durable.

Yes, you need a chain tool to remove links from the chain. Depending on the chain brand, it will come with a "master pin" (Shimano) for rejoining the chain, which is a one time use pin and you will need a chain tool (and a new pin) anytime you want to break your chain, or it will come with a speed link where you press the pins on each side of the link to the chain, but the link is breakable (think quick release for your chain) so you can remove/reinstall the chain without a tool as often as you like. If your chain comes with the master pin, you may want to buy a speed link to use instead (again, all brands/styles are compatible as long as they for the correct number of gears).

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Yes, you're changing to a 20 speed, but for chains you only need to match up the number of gears on the cassette. You have 10 gears in the back, so you need a 10 speed chain regardless of how many chainrings you have. That means you can keep your current chain if you want, either at the current length or shortened (which will help prevent problems with chain slap and chain dropping due to slack when on the small chainring). If you shorten it, you will need either a new master pin or a new speed link.

No, you can run SRAM or KMC chains and/or speed links, so long as they are 10 speed.

#7 ·
This might help. Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chain Length Sizing

Also if you're buying a new chain I would suggest a kmc 10 speed chain as they're the only ones currently making a reusable master link. The SRAM one is supposedly a 1 time use.
I think there's some confusion on this. I believe that "not reusable" is referring to pressing the link out of the chain and then pressing it back in. It is not referring to breaking the chain for maintenance by breaking the link as it is designed to be and then reassembling the link when putting the chain back on. Otherwise, there's really no point to the speed link at all, is there? That's my opinion, anyway.

I don't think KMC speed links are designed to be pressed out and back in either.

#6 ·
Erin said to take about 8 links out of my chain to get rid of extra "slop", which makes sense to me.
I am leery of removing an arbitrary number of links like that. Four complete links -- inner and outer -- might be too much. You could end up shredding your rear mech. Better to read up on how to safely size your chain. In the meantime, there is no harm done to just leave the chain as-is at its current length.

#12 ·
Right. And my position is that the 2 statements are referring to 2 different things.

The KMC "reusable" is referring to the fact that you can open and close the link multiple times (true of both KMC and SRAM)

The SRAM "one time use only" is referring to pressing the link out of the chain and pressing it back in to the same or different chain, hence the clarification of "Always use a new PowerLock when fitting a new chain."

If you want to reuse (press out and back in) a KMC link, go ahead. I'll spend the extra buck or two for piece of mind.

I will continue to use either brand as they were intended, which is to be able to break the chain at that link as many times as I want.

#11 ·
Right. And my position is that the 2 statements are referring to 2 different things.

The KMC "reusable" is referring to the fact that you can open and close the link multiple times (true of both KMC and SRAM)

The SRAM "one time use only" is referring to pressing the link out of the chain and pressing it back in to the same or different chain, hence the clarification of "Always use a new PowerLock when fitting a new chain."

If you want to reuse (press out and back in) a KMC link, go ahead. I'll spend the extra buck or two for piece of mind.

I will continue to use either brand as they were intended, which is to be able to break the chain at that link as many times as I want.
The kmc link is made to come undone just like previous models without tools; read "by hand"

The SRAM link is tool free install and you use a chain tool to remove it and then discard it and use a new one; read not reusable or tool free removal.

I don't get wtf your posts are trying to prove?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.