mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Some pointers on adjusting Shimano XT Shadow rear mech screws

Hi everyone

Can some of you intellegent mechanic types give me some pointers on adjusting my rear mech? (apart from pointing towards my local LBS)

Situation is this.....

New bike new rear mech new cables etc....

approx 40 miles of riding and my rear mech wont move into highest gear closest to wheel, theres been no knocks so i assume just needs adjusting....ive watched some youtube videos and this is what ive done.

removed cable from rear mech and pushed rear mech across the cassette it wouldnt move to largest cog. attached cable again.

adjusted the screw till the mech changes gear across all the range without a problem,

This i assume is all i have to do?

Reason i ask is i had to turn the adjustment screw probably best part of 4 or five complete 360 revolutions so now it sticks out quite a way compared to the low gear adjustment screw....

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Limit screws don't have much to do with actually tuning the gears, they only stop the derailleur from moving past the high or low gear and prevent the chain from falling off. You should be able to look at the limit screws and see it hitting the stop in either high or low gear. Here is mine in low gear showing the end of the screw contacting the stop.

Some pointers on adjusting Shimano XT Shadow rear mech screws-d-11.jpg

If you have a gap between the screw and stop when in high gear then the cable tension is what is preventing the chain from falling off, and the screw should be re-adjusted. If not then you're OK. Once the limits are set then the cable tension is what actually adjusts the gears, and unless the hanger or something gets bent you won't have to mess with the limits again.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Some pointers on adjusting Shimano XT Shadow rear mech screws

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Hi everyone

Can some of you intellegent mechanic types give me some pointers on adjusting my rear mech? (apart from pointing towards my local LBS)

Situation is this.....

New bike new rear mech new cables etc....

approx 40 miles of riding and my rear mech wont move into highest gear closest to wheel, theres been no knocks so i assume just needs adjusting....ive watched some youtube videos and this is what ive done.

removed cable from rear mech and pushed rear mech across the cassette it wouldnt move to largest cog. attached cable again.

adjusted the screw till the mech changes gear across all the range without a problem,

This i assume is all i have to do?

Reason i ask is i had to turn the adjustment screw probably best part of 4 or five complete 360 revolutions so now it sticks out quite a way compared to the low gear adjustment screw....

Thanks in advance!
    I am reading that you are turning the high limit screw to try to get the chain to shift to the largest cog.
    The large cog is the low gear ratio, easier to pedal. You are turning the wrong screw.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Like Shiggy said, you are probably turning the wrong screw, but the limit screws can still be different heights when properly adjusted.