mtbr member
    May 2010

Some guidance please!

Im going to be running xt 9spd crankset with an sram pg980 cassette and x9 short rear der. Its going to be a 1x9 setup. Its gonna sound silly but does it matter what route I got with a chain? Can someone recommend a good chain thats light and durable. As always thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    The sram PC-991 is a great chain. Strong, not too expensive and pretty light...... http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/139...-Gold-2010.htm

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks ill keep that one on my list!

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano CN7701 (XTR) is tops on my list, you can use a SRAM Powerlink with it for easy cleaning.

Rub it............
    Use either the Sram PC-991 or the Shimano XTR chain. I've used both with good results.

Dirt Deviant
    XTR 7701 and a Connex connector is nice. I have that setup on one bike.
    The SRAM power link works too, but I like the construction of the Connex link better.
    Also have the PC991 and it works out well.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Any decent 9s chain will be fine including the better Sram, Shimano, KMC, Wippermann, or others.

If you prefer to use a connector you might as well buy a chain that has one, but can always add one to one, like a Shimano, that doesn't.

No need to spent top dollar on a chain, from about half way up in each manufacturers line, the chains don't get better mechanically, just lighter and prettier.

Don't overthink a chain choice, in the end it boils down to a coke vs Pepsi kind of decision. Just keep it properly lubed and replace it when it's time and you can focus your energy on other things.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Don't overthink a chain choice, in the end it boils down to a coke vs Pepsi kind of decision. ...
    Mountain Dew if the OP's gonna do any sort of REAL riding
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yeah im thinking im just gonna see who has the cheapest oe chain up for sale. just saw that cambriabike has a 20% sale now so i think its time to buy some parts for the build. thanks for all the input guys im a noob and i greatly appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24
    yeah im thinking im just gonna see who has the cheapest oe chain up for sale. just saw that cambriabike has a 20% sale now so i think its time to buy some parts for the build. thanks for all the input guys im a noob and i greatly appreciate it.
    Just stay mid-level or better. The chains do improve form the low end to mid range, then it's about weight, looks and hype.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    just a thread rant. ordered a set of x9 shifters on CLove and somehow I ordered 2 sets dammit I hate when i mess up. Hopefully they can adjust it before it ships next week.