mtbr member

Solo 2x10 Wickwerks Conversion

Yet another 2x10 conversion question...

I think I've got this dialed in, but wanted to get a 2nd opinion.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C (R/AM build). Current setup:
    Shifters: SLX M670
    Crankset: Deore 42/32/24
    FD: Deore M611
    RD: SLX M675 GS Shadow+
    Cassette: SLX 11-36

Wickwerks is selling a Raceface Turbine crank w/ Wickwerks Mountain Double 33/22 chainrings mounted. I'd like to retain my 11-36 cassette.
    My RD should be able to handle the shifting, but I suspect a new FD is needed.
    A glance at the SC website shows their new 5010 ( 2x10 with 34/22 front and 11-36 rear) is spec'd with a Sram X0 FD and Shimano M670 shifters.

At this point it looks like a no-brainer, just purchase the X0 and I'm good, right? However, if I wanted to stay in the Shimano family, is there a FD that is optimal for my application? XT M786 maybe?

As this is gonna be my 1st attempt at a job like this, I just wanted to get all my ducks-in-a-row. I've read the blogs, looked at spec sheets, etc. and I'm ready to pull the trigger on this project.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I recently installed WickWerks 22T/33T chainrings on my Shimano 785 2 x 10 crankset. In order to dial in the front shifting, the shop has to change the XT front shifter from double shifting to triple shifting. Without that adjustment, the FD was struggling to shift the chain from the 22T to 33T chainring. After that adjustment was made, the shifting has been great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I recently installed WickWerks 22T/33T chainrings on my Shimano 785 2 x 10 crankset. In order to dial in the front shifting, the shop has to change the XT front shifter from double shifting to triple shifting. Without that adjustment, the FD was struggling to shift the chain from the 22T to 33T chainring. After that adjustment was made, the shifting has been great.
    You are not throwing your chain off one end or the other?
    Otherwise, are the wickwerks better from your previous XT chainrings?...it is what they selling their product based on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is your front derailleur direct mount? I've read on here that SRAM offers DM derailleurs in 2 heights and Shimano doesn't. That may be useful for the smaller front ring.
    Otherwise, I would expect that your present derailleur will work. It says it has a 18 tooth capacity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Is your front derailleur direct mount? I've read on here that SRAM offers DM derailleurs in 2 heights and Shimano doesn't. That may be useful for the smaller front ring.
    Otherwise, I would expect that your present derailleur will work. It says it has a 18 tooth capacity.
    Thanks for the responses!
    My derailleur is a clamp style, so I have a bit more 'adjustability".
    I'm told my current FD will work, but I'm also told that a 'dedicated' 2x10 FD would shift more efficiently (something about cage size I think).
    Honestly, front derailleurs aren't all that expensive, so I don't mind buying a new one!

mtbr member
    I just did the same things with the 22/33 wickwerks.
    I'm also looking at the Sram X0 FD in Low Direct Mount format.
    I think this is the right one.... any confirmation on part number?

I already tried and failed to order one of these last week and got the wrong part.
    I'm fitting it on a Specialized 2013 Camber 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    I just did the same things with the 22/33 wickwerks.
    I'm also looking at the Sram X0 FD in Low Direct Mount format.
    I think this is the right one.... any confirmation on part number?

I already tried and failed to order one of these last week and got the wrong part.
    I'm fitting it on a Specialized 2013 Camber 29.
    I'm gonna drop by my LBS (where I bought the bike), look at the new Santa Cruz 5010 and see which Sram X0 they are using. Gotta finish watching World Cup first...

mtbr member
    Update on FD ?

mtbr member
    Update on FD ?
    Still waiting for the package from Wickwerks (should arrive today).

BTW, I emailed Wickwerks asking for FD reccomendations and recieved a very quick response from Eldon (great cust service!). His reply: "I have had the best success using the Shimano XT. It's stiff and stronger than XTR. XO is also a good choice. So, Maybe matching the front derailleur with the front shifter both Shimano is the way to choose?"
    Hope that helps. I'll keep you posted...

This is my 1st attempt at a 2x10 conversion as well as replacing a FD. I tend to read directions and work verrrry slowly in an attempt to get things right the first time. Wish me luck lol!

mtbr member
    Update on FD ?
    Oops, never answered your question Blazer...
    I'm going with the Shimano FD M786. Seems like the specifications are just right for my application. Haven't actually found one yet at my LBS though...might need to order online.

mtbr member
    I ordered an 2x10 XT M785 Front Derailleur E no backplate low mount.
    I hope the alignment is good.

mtbr member
    OK, finally got around to it...purchased the Shimano FD M786, and installed it along with the Wickwerks 33/22 chainrings mounted to the RaceFace Turbine crank.
    My first attempt at a derailleur install, and although it took more than a few times to get it right..it got it right! The shifters are 2x compatible (just the flick of a switch so that was a breeze), shortened the chain, etc, then rewarded m'self with an IPA (or 2..).

The rings do indeed shift like a dream, so there ya' go! All's good here!

mtbr member
    My new wickwerk chainring is trash after the first ride.
    1small log crossing broke 3 teeth off the larger 33t chainring.
    Chain wont stay on it ever now.
    I put my old shimano ring back on for now. I've had to race Face narrow wide single chain rings stand up quite a bit of abuse and the shimano rings are almost indestructible they even leave gouges in concrete without losing a tooth. I don't think that I'll ever buy another wick werks chain ring again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Are you serious? No wonder the rings didn't work for me! I have been bad mouthing these things for months....

mtbr member
    These rings are shorter than what Shimano intended for the XT derailers to be installed with and my bike shop had to move my derailleur lower toward the BB to get the contact point of the front derailleur to move the chain clean on shifts.

mtbr member
    My new wickwerk chainring is trash after the first ride.
    1small log crossing broke 3 teeth off the larger 33t chainring.
    Chain wont stay on it ever now.
    I put my old shimano ring back on for now. I've had to race Face narrow wide single chain rings stand up quite a bit of abuse and the shimano rings are almost indestructible they even leave gouges in concrete without losing a tooth. I don't think that I'll ever buy another wick werks chain ring again.
    Wow...that is indeed bad news! Sorry to hear that. You'd think the rings would be stronger than that. I wonder if WW would offer a warranty of sorts?
    Makes me think a bashguard is in my future.

mtbr member
    These rings are shorter than what Shimano intended for the XT derailers to be installed with and my bike shop had to move my derailleur lower toward the BB to get the contact point of the front derailleur to move the chain clean on shifts.
    Yep, I did have to slide the deraulleur down a bit to compensate for the smaller 'rings. I kinda' figured that was gonna need to be done.
    Initial ride yesterday was good. Up-shifting was smooth and fast (as long as you dont "baby" the shifter).

mtbr member
    Yeah I have to hammer the shifter 2 or it's not a clean shift.