No, that's not phonetic

New question here. So what's the draw to Middleburn cranks? Opinions please...

I follow bike tech and trends pretty closely, and I have to say this whole Middleburn thing sort of snuck up on me. I think I remember them from long ago, and I guess they have always been on the radar screen in the UK, but why are so many people here getting into them now? Just a weight thing? Aren't they only available in square taper and Isis? People are willingly running Isis BBs just to be able to run the cranks?

I have a Pugsley and there are few bb options other than Isis for my 100mm shell, so I do keep an eye on Isis cranks that come in 58/94 sizes. My Next LPs are looking pretty thrashed and ghetto these days...

The Middleburns remind me of the old Topline or Cooks Bros cranks. Man those things were flexy. What's the scoop?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    The Square taper is a draw, for me at least, and the ability to find a decent not overly heavy crank that has 3 pieces, not just two (And therefore the ability to figure out a good chainline, instead of a dictated one.).

I'm not sold on the ISIS BB's, but could be tempted by the SKF and Crank Bros BB's.

It's something pretty simple, that's still available. I'd be happy to purchase even old Shimano Square Taper XT's or RF Turbines, but they're getting to be harder and harder to find.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Two main things:

Square taper

Choice of spiders

There are more than a few that dislike ISIS and the current external bearing BBs and/or want something other than 4-bolt 104 spiders.

I have not heard any reports of the Middleburns being flexy but if you thought Cook Bros were flexy they may not be the crank for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    There are more than a few that dislike ISIS and the current external bearing BBs and/or want something other than 4-bolt 104 spiders.
    My Truvativ isis DH 100mm bb in the Pugs is holding up fine so far, but I have had very poor luck with Isis in general. However Phil Wood makes a nice square bb for the Pugs in 100mm. Since the Endomorph tires are effectively 29", I like to gear down and like to run a 20/30 front ring combo, and this is only possible on 58/94 cranks. It is hard to find compact 5-arm isis cranks these days (Turbines tend to sell expensively on eBay).
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Middleburn cranks

Hi,

I used to use the Middleburn RS7 chainset [sq taper BB] and since I changed to Shimano
    M960 XTR I notice how much stiffer and more direct the XTR feels.

You will also find that a few years ago the Middleburn RS7cranks used to be CNC machined from a block of aluminium and now and since about 2002 they are cold forged which doesn't look quite as sharp in terms of the finish.

Hope this helps.

Chaser.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I recently got the RS8s. They are relatively light (449g) and create a more clean drivetrain rather than simply removing the granny from a triple to make a 2x9. I couldn't be happier with them. The chainline is perfect! Oh, and they look pretty sweet too!