Chocolate covered pretzel

So many things have changed sence 8 speed..

Im so over wealmed on how much things have changes for components..

I have a 98 Klein Pulse comp that im trying to clone my former stolen one and I cant find any 8 speed stuff at all..

I found the old XT shifter/brake lever combo I liked and got those at a steep price. but I cant find anything else.. Id like to find a 8 speed LX or better front derailer thats a top swing top pull (if im saying that correctly?) setup in a 34.9 clamp also I dont know what type or size bottom bracket I need?!?

8 speed XT derailer? would I need a long cage rear for the 11-34?

also whats this all about when mentioned for rear derailers? ---> Rapid Rise

also Im lookin for an 11-34 8 speed cassette..

Im clueless here people..
    Last time I was all out into this stuff was 1999 and ive got alot of catching up to do..
    thanks

*Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Two things....1) call Speedgoat, they can really help 2) "since" "overwhelmed" :-)

MTB B'dos
    Well I wasn't into it back then, but yes lots has changed. If you're looking for the older 8 spd stuff (non-rapid rise) check out JensonUSA they have had a lot of the older stuff clearing out. here's the FD you ask for As for the R derailer I think the safe bet would be to use a long cage version w/ the 34 cassette, however I do have a friend who's running a medium cage w/ this combo - just have to make sure you don't shift into any bad gear combo's.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-06-2006 at 04:56 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    the 9spd deraillers & rings will work fine with 8spd stuff, no worries there (as long as your cranks are compact)... just don't get a rapid rise rear derailleur, unless you want the rear shifting backwards from what you're used to. Oh, and the new front deraillers come in one diameter size w/ shims for smaller tubes and I believe they can be used both bottom & top pull, but check shimano's site for that.
    if you're really worried, check out someplace like cambriabike for 8spd stuff.

what's this 8spd 11-34 cassette you're looking at? sounds like a lower end mega-range cassette...stay away! you would want a long cage for that one though, unless you're very careful about crosschaining.
    there's still xtr 12-32 (m-900 cassette) to be found for about $50/cassette at the online places (pricepoint, universal, etc), or lx/xt in 11-30/28.
    *trick, use an 11t lockring & 11t cog on the 12-32 to get more range (harriscyclery.com has 'em seperate).

Oh, and your BB spindle length is dependant on the crank you use (shimano cranks of that era were 107-110 mostly). I'd think the BB width is 73 on your klein, but it's easy nuff to measure.
    Last edited by logbiter; 01-06-2006 at 08:42 AM.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Do It Yourself
    E-Bay is going to be your best bet for 8 speed parts. You can find 8 speed front derailleurs and there is currently a guy in the Netherlands selling a stockpile of 8 speed 12-32 XTR Ti cassettes for reasonable prices (I just bought 3). You can swap out the bottom 1-3 cogs from an 11-30 XT or XTR and have 8 speed 11-32 with a good spread. The 11-34 8 speed cassettes from SRAM and Shimano are low end crap with a huge gap, like a 26T to 34T jump. You can use 9 speed cranks and rear derailleurs just fine but I agree you probably don't want to get a rapid rise since it's assbackward shifting (what was down is up, what was up is down). I'm using M952 XTR rear derailleur and M760 XT cranks. My 99 Klein Mantra had 50mm chainline so if yours is the same, the new external cranks will work great per the directions. If not you may want to move a spacer to the nondrive side for 47.5m chainline.

And while you're at it, I would highly recommend upgrading to disc brakes, at least in the front.
    Long Live Long Rides

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Two things....1) call Speedgoat, they can really help 2) "since" "overwhelmed" :-)
    Hi Fred3

I would assume that you got the point of my message.. If I wanted it corrected, I would have asked ya..

thanks for the tips fellas...

me gona try n fine me a good buncha partz

I <3 29ers
    Welcome Chris! You remind me of someone that started here last year, scratching his head thinking "ISIS? Rapid Rise? 9 speed? What the heck happened with bike's?????"

Take your time and do your research. Everyone here is great and helpful and will get you sorted out.

I'll just sit and wait for you to ask where you can find a new bottom bracket that's still tapered.

Remember - have fun!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Hey Andy..

1999 was basically the end of me knowing anything about the current trends..

I desided to just take my frame and everythign and have it swapped.. It feels funny paying to have someone do everything.. I should have never sold off all my park stuff..

Heres the old ride.. I went with a retro 80's much like my old Schwinn mid 80's bmx I had

that got stolen from me about 3+ years ago from my garage..

I found the same era, color and size bike for 200 bucks used and it was bone stock down to the tires..

I had the frame refinished with powdercoating and changed the "Pulse" to "Pauluk" my last name

heres that..
    http://www.customtacos.com/gallery2/...0/MVC-002X.JPG

I should get it on thursday or friday..
    I just scored a nice used king headset and a few months back a king classic wheel set that was built up nicely.. this time around im goin black and blue.. cant find any of the stuff I once had.. Also Kooka must have gone out of buisness or something.. cant find the stem anymore either.. oh well.. it creaked too much.. im a little older so this ones gettin a slight riser bar..

Ill post up pics of it built up (nothing extravagant) when I get it back..

I bought a NOS 2004 Trek 4900 for 300 bucks thinkin it would be enuff to replace my mental aspect of having a bicycle again.. nope.. nadda.. so im using whats on that to swap as many things as possible.. and the rest is on the tab at the shop..

is there an online bicycle parts definitions and explinations for idiots site out there anywhere?

take care and glad to be on the site..

I <3 29ers
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Chris. Definetly sucks!

Links? THERE I can help.

Sheldon Brown's website has TONS of great info about anything to do with bike's. Bonus is that he spans thrrough the years, so it's not just old or new stuff.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Also, Park's website obviously has great info as well.

http://www.parktool.com/

You are in the same situation I was last year in April. I was "out" in '99 also. Thank god I found this place!!!!!!

Do your research before you buy stuff, get familiar with MTBR's Search feature AND the Product Review's section (it's at the top menu of all MTBR page's). It's not the same world it was before - there is much "technology" to be found.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.