mtbr member
    Apr 2004

smoothness in small chainring issue...

I have a 2004 blur - I recently upgraded my XT rear derailleur to XTR and I've been having issues since the conversion. I changed my chain at the same time.
    My indexing is fine - the bike pedals smoother than ever in the middle and large chainrings - but it's not nearly as smooth in the small chainring. I've also confirmed that the B tension screw is correct - it's keeping the pulley off the cassette without being too far. I've also checked the teeth on the small chainring and none are crooked/bent.
    I've checked the chain length and it's correct as well.

It's difficult to tell if the feedback in the small ring is coming from the front or rear. The chain doesn't skip gears, ghost shift or anything like that - it just doesn't pedal smooth under torque - when climbing steep inclines (the only time necessary to use the small ring).
    When the bike is in the stand it's smooth in all gears, but again under torque in the small ring the pedaling is not nearly as smooth and noise free.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    chain may be a little too long or the chain line may be off. If you are riding in the higher rear gears it may be the angle at which the chain and rings are meshing
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If it only happens in the lowest gear 22 front 34/32 rear then it definately sounds like the Low limit to far in and is not allowing the pully to line up with the low gear.

How worn was the chain? You could have a worn out drive train.

If it happens under tension in only the 22t front with all rear combinations it's gotta be a worn 22T chainring.

If it happens under tesion with any combinations (try cranking in 32T front and see what happens) then it could be the cassette/rings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the feedback
    How worn was the chain? Just a few months - a few hundred miles on it is all - I changed it to a new one when I got the new derailleur.

It happens on the 34, 32, 30? or whatever 3rd gear is.

On the 32T front it's smooth from the 12 to the 34 and back.

I'll check the low limit screw but it doesn't seem make sense since the 32T is fine. I was thinking it may be the 22T front ring but I didn't get any of this on the previous derailleur.

I'll replace the 22T and let you guys know if that does the trick.

Thanks again for the insight.

mtbr platinum member
    Sounds like your B-tension screw is set in too far to me. When you are in your 22t up front and 34t in back and spin the cranks backwards, does the upper pulley start coming in contact with the 34t cog and kind of 'hop' and feel rough?

If so, try screwing the B-tension in a few turns. Sometimes this little test reveals that you need a few more turns. Shimano derailleurs need a lot of B-tension to accomodate a 34t cog on the cassette.

The reason you would have problems only in the 22t ring is due to the extra chain slack in this ring, which makes the upper pulley move closer to the rear cogs.

Just something to check... Good luck.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Glad to Be Alive
    G Money...scrap that bike and get a downhill machine. One ring in the front and don't worry about shifting too much. Oh learn your solos
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I replaced the small chainring and now it's smooth as butter - shiver - when you pedal uphill you can give me advice

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney
    I replaced the small chainring and now it's smooth as butter - shiver - when you pedal uphill you can give me advice
    Oh I pedaled up to the trail on Wednesday....was feeling energetic.....so now get the big bike and listen to my advice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days