24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009

Smallest Bashring/Chain Guide Setup?

I am considering going 1x9 on my bike for a few reasons, one of them being more clearance. I would like to run a 32 tooth front ring, and want a bash that matches that, not a guard that will cover a 34 or 36 tooth. Also, I would like the lower roller or guide to tuck up higher than the bashguard.
    I have looked but cannot find a system that meets all of the above requirements.
    Here is the bike if that helps any?

mbtr member
    so, like a 32 special or the gravity 32t ones? Yea, you can get ones like them.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Most smaller diameter bash guides are going to cover up to 34 or so as a 32 large rings is pretty limiting, and creating a mold to make a bash to cover a ring that 'specific' would certainly be a $$ looser.

e-13 and gamut both make single rings that fit 32 - 34 rings, You could also throw on a lower roller like an e-13 DS or a blackspire stinger....and then a seperate bash. There are cut aluminum bashes in specific ring sizes..like BBG...either way, the 1/4 (depending on the actual diameter of the bash, as it can vary for different mfg with the same 'fit') inch in diameter wont make any difference in your ride. Changing from a 40+ tooth bash would be noticable, but going from a 34 to a 32....no

HOWEVER....

What you are desiring are sort of opposites. The smaller the bash, the more the lower roller is going to be exposed..there is no way around it. To make things worse, your frame has dropped chainstays, limiting the rotation of the lower roller. Something with higher stays would allow you to get the roller higher and further behind the bash. If you look at the pic of your bike, it is easy to see that to hit a lower roller, you would have to roll over a pretty tall, small diameter object, at pretty low speed...

I 100% understand what (and why) you are after and there is benefit to doing what you can in this regard within reason, but IMO you might be overthinking this a little.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    If you look at the pic of your bike, it is easy to see that to hit a lower roller, you would have to roll over a pretty tall, small diameter object, at pretty low speed...
    There are a few such obstacles that I ride locally that are exactly what you describe. I realize I am probably over thinking it, but if I am going to spend my money, I would rather buy exactly what I am looking for rather than a compromise. If it is not made commercially I may just need to try and make something myself.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will keep looking.

24v
    Scratch That Itch
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    so, like a 32 special or the gravity 32t ones? Yea, you can get ones like them.
    The 32 special might be a good choice.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    There are a few such obstacles that I ride locally that are exactly what you describe. I realize I am probably over thinking it, but if I am going to spend my money, I would rather buy exactly what I am looking for rather than a compromise. If it is not made commercially I may just need to try and make something myself.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will keep looking.
    it's funny, but having done the trail-chainguide thing for a while now my priorities would be on getting something with a quiet roller style lower guide and a highly adjustable upper backplate. 32-36t... whatever... it was a big deal when i bought my first guide though. Funny how priorities change.

I'm not sure i'd wanna push a 9sp reign around anyway.... i'd try a stinger first before i committed to a chainguide.

A good rodeo is much more useful than 7mm of bashring clearance.

And that's my opinion.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.