mtbr member
    Nov 2012

SLX shadow plus rear derailleur index adjustment

The index on my new bike appears to be off - not sure if it's a bent derailleur hanger or if it's just off. Anyway it is jumping from the smallest gear of a 10-speed cassette to the third, wanting to skip the second. At first the outer limiter was way off and allowing the chain to drop between casette and spokes. I fixed that, but now the entire index is off.

The shadow plus is new to me, and I noticed that there's no barrel adjust on the derailleur. Do I use the adjuster on the shifter instead, like SRAM? Is there a method to the shadow plus indexing madness?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi Stencil,
    B-Screw is more important on Shadow series than it was on the older non-shadow derailleurs. I would check the B-screw adjustment and also remove the cable from the RDR and make sure the chain is centered on the lowest cog. It is possible the chain is just at the edge of the lower cog, then when shifting, it jumps over the next gear. I would also give the barrel adjuster a few notches so you can tension the cable looser as well as tighten. If neither work, it could be a bent hanger.
    Also, you use the shifter adjustment to change cable tension as you in an SRAM config.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, RSabarese.

The more I'm thinking about it the more it's probably a bent hanger. I'm heading to the LBS tonight for a fitting and I'm sure they have a hanger gauge there we can take a look with. Will also check the B-Screw -- that's interesting as in 20 years of riding I think I've touched the B-screw maybe... 2 times.

By the way, I found a somewhat crummy guide from Shimano here: http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...0RD%20Tips.pdf

It has very little info - it's like they started something good but bailed halfway through - but might be useful for others learning to adjust their shadow plus'.

Ninja Master Powers
    If it helps I can tell you that I have recently learned (after hours of trying to fix it) that the XTR Shadow+ is fairly sensitive to the hanger being out of adjustment.

I had similar problems just on different cogs. I spent hours trying to get adjusted again, and this indexing issue started literally in a moment. Meaning one moment it worked perfect and the next it didn't.

Finally gave up took the bike in the hanger was off just a very small amount, a little trek with a alignment tool and it was perfect again.

Not sure exactly how the hanger got bent, maybe something hit it, maybe I leaned my bike against something… don't know. But it it was barely bent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Not sure exactly how the hanger got bent, maybe something hit it, maybe I leaned my bike against something… don't know. But it it was barely bent.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what's up here. The bike was on its side this morning (I blame the wife / cats / ghosts). I'm just surprised it fell out of alignment so easily!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I put an XT shadow + on not too long ago. Since then on one particularly rocky trail my hanger is getting bent every time such that Im losing the largest two cogs.

Im trying to learn to ride better. I also have a derailleur alignment tool on my wish list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Was a severely bent hanger. Replaced and all is well.