mtbr member

SLX Double or Triple Chainring Help?

I am looking to purchase a new crankset for my GT Force and need some advice?

I ride mostly middle chainring and bent the crap out of my FSA Alpa Crank on rocks. I tried bending it back but I have to keep doing it. I ride moderate hills but no real down hill.

Would you go with a double or triple crankset? Is the triple strong? or go with the double with a bashguard?

And a dumb question here. How do you stop the shifter from staying on the double chainring if its setup for a triple chanring???

I appreciate your advice.

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of the double, but then I've run 2x9 for a few years now. I like having the bashguard. The SLX double is also built a tad more strongly than the single--steel axle and pedal inserts.

The SLX double comes with a 36-tooth middle ring, which gives reduces the overlap as compared to a 22/32 setup.

To stop shifting into the non-existent third ring, you just set your derailer stop so that it won't allow the derailer to shift into third. You may be able to "force" the shift anyway, but you'll quickly learn not to do that.

T.W.O.

I like the SLX double

It does not weight too much either. Fast shifting and solid crank usable range for Trail riding. Unless I'm on a long fireroad descend the 22/36 is plenty. I think that you can go med-cage rear der as well. The bash guard is pretty cool. At one point I add the Black spire stinger but took it out cause the chain has never drop on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    It does not weight too much either. Fast shifting and solid crank usable range for Trail riding. Unless I'm on a long fireroad descend the 22/36 is plenty. I think that you can go med-cage rear der as well. The bash guard is pretty cool. At one point I add the Black spire stinger but took it out cause the chain has never drop on me.

MIMI... Nice Bike. Thanks for the response.

Dumb question. What does the stinger do?

Did you have to change your front derailleur?

I got the SLX today and have to put it on.

Did you also cut the chain?

Much thanks!!!

T.W.O.
    Stinger is a chain tensioner for dual ring set up you just add it in place of a spacer on the drive side. I found that my chain never drop any ways. I re-sized my chain I don't remember how many link I took out I think 3or4. As for the front der. I just adjust the H/L stop to prevent it from going out too far. It takes a few ride to get use to riding 36/22 as you can stay one or two gear longer on the small ring.
    http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0