NMBP

SLX Double/different bash guard?

Hi, anyone out there running an SLX double crankset with a different ie: lighter bash guard? Which one? It looks like the the Shimano guard is pretty heavy. Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Removed it , didnt need it .

mtbr member
    The SLX bash is 148g (not including the 4 aluminum reducers). A Gamut dual ring chain guide and bash setup is 148-154g. If I remember correctly, the bash itself was 79g. E13 turbocharger bash is 87g.

I'm running the E13 and my buddy has the Gamut. Both are light and durable.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Niner EMD9 Rigid

29 some of the time...
    e13 is about the lightest of the 36t bash guards that still provides full protection. Hardly seems worth it to save 50g. If weight is the issue you should start with the triple version of the SLX cranks and use an old style M800 saint bash (~70g). You would lose a bit of the high gear, but would drop 110g for the cranks and 80g for the bash. Half a pound is worth taking note of
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Half pound? More like a quarter pound.

SLX Double = 999g (includes bash)
    SLX Triple = 889g

889g - 44T(~70g) + M800 Bash (~70g) = 889g

110g difference = 0.24lbs
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

NMBP
    OK guys, sorry but I have never run a double before, so please educate me here. I was under the impression that I could just remove the SLX bashguard and replace it with a lighter one. Does the SLX guard also have some sort of chain retaining device on it? I was looking at one of these: http://www.bbgbashguard.com/Mountainbike.html when they become available. I am no weight weenie for sure, but these are cheap and supposedly durable. Maybe not worth it?

mtbr member
    You can absolutely replace it. There is no chain retention device.

I have an E13 turbocharger AND a BBG Superlight. Both do what they are supposed to.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    You can absolutely replace it. There is no chain retention device.

I have an E13 turbocharger AND a BBG Superlight. Both do what they are supposed to.
    Thanks man, just what I wanted to here! I assume you just unbolt and re-bolt? Nothing tricky?

Sup
    I have a salsa ring dinger on mine
    keeps the chain from falling off the 36 tooth gear in the rough
    I would not run with no guard because of this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    Thanks man, just what I wanted to here! I assume you just unbolt and re-bolt? Nothing tricky?
    If you go with the BBG, you "might" need shorter bolts because of how thin they are. But otherwise, yeah, just unbolt and re-bolt.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxcom
    Half pound? More like a quarter pound.

SLX Double = 999g (includes bash)
    SLX Triple = 889g

889g - 44T(~70g) + M800 Bash (~70g) = 889g

110g difference = 0.24lbs
    Bad math on my part Get what you pay for online. I come out 110-120g difference if I do the math more carefully (varies with actual weight vs claimed). I was mainly calling attention to the fact that the M660 would have been a better choice if the OP was concerned about weight. Bottom line, weight weenies who want to run SLX use the M660 not the M665
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Dirt Deviant
    I believe the SLX bash uses longer chainring bolts.
    You will need to get some regular "double" bolts to use a BBG, Race Face, Gamut or similar (chainring width) bash guard.

I highly recomend the BBG. Great price, light weight, good company.
    I would stay away from the superlight versions though. They are pretty thin if you actually plan on bashing into stuff.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I believe the SLX bash uses longer chainring bolts.
    You will need to get some regular "double" bolts to use a BBG, Race Face, Gamut or similar (chainring width) bash guard.

I highly recomend the BBG. Great price, light weight, good company.
    I would stay away from the superlight versions though. They are pretty thin if you actually plan on bashing into stuff.
    Would this be a hardware store item, or special order? It's never easy is it? (Not that it's that hard or anything)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    Would this be a hardware store item, or special order? It's never easy is it? (Not that it's that hard or anything)
    Not a hardware store item. Any bike shop should be able to hook you up though.

mtbr member
    I use Saint chainring bolts on my E.13 bash and they work fine. Not too long. I imagine the SLX chainring bolts are similar.

mtbr member
    In general, if you are getting an aluminum bash, they almost always use normal 2 ring length bolts.

The Polycarb (plastic) bashes can vary, and a lot of the time require longer bolts, but usually come with the longer bolts if necessary (except the new gamut P series bashes require longer bolts, and don't come with them, found that out the hard way )

Dirt Deviant
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the 2009 SLX FC-M665 cranks and I swapped the stock bash for a BBG.
    As already mentioned, I did need to replace the chainring bolts (I think I may have even used the Sette ones mentioned in the previous post) because the shimano ones are too long.
    My weights: Crankset including BB was 1015 grams before and 920 grams after. The BBG bashes are excellent, I think I now have 5 or 6 of them on different bikes.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I have the 2009 SLX FC-M665 cranks and I swapped the stock bash for a BBG.
    As already mentioned, I did need to replace the chainring bolts (I think I may have even used the Sette ones mentioned in the previous post) because the shimano ones are too long.
    My weights: Crankset including BB was 1015 grams before and 920 grams after. The BBG bashes are excellent, I think I now have 5 or 6 of them on different bikes.
    Looks like I will order the Sette bolts and be good to go! Thanks everyone for the tips, I will post a pic when it's all together