mtbr member
    Dec 2009

SLX crankset install

I just picked up a SLX crankset and XT bottom bracket to install on my new Niner EMD frame. I am interested in doing the install myself and was wondering what tools are needed for this. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you need the bottom bracket wrench which is fairly inexpensive and the bearing preload tool. then just a multi tool to torque down non drive side crank arm. IF you have a shop do this install it's probably only 10 or 15 bucks. the 2 tools you need are probably $20 but if you anticipate swapping out cranks again in the future the tools are worth the investment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thankfully, Park makes a tool that does both functions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Thankfully, Park makes a tool that does both functions.
    Yes, I used that Park Tool and that was all I needed (aside from the torque wrench and pedal wrench) to install and remove my SLX crankset. And have done that a few times since building the bike to adjust the spacers and then to help find a squeaking noise while pedaling. Interesting that once I finally convinced myself that the BB was fine and not the cause of the squeaks. Rather it was almost everything else that was making noise. But it was my ears tricking me into thinking the noise came out of the BB. It actually was the rear axle and the stem making the noise I was hearing. But it took tearing the BB apart a couple times to convince myself it was silent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's really not necessary to use a torque wrench to tighten the clamp bolts. I generally tighten them as much as possible, being careful to make sure you don't damage the hex socket by ham fisting the tool, and to also tighten them alternately instead of all at once. Sometimes 14Nm isn't quite enough to stop cranks from creaking under a strong or heavy rider.

One of the reasons Shimano uses that special plastic tool is so that people don't put too much preload on the bearings, because you simply can't grip the tool well enough (with your fingers) to put too much torque on.