I'm Slow

SLX 2x9 and Medium Cage X.9

So I am upgrading to the SLX 2x9 crank and I was also going to purchase a new rear derailleur at the same time. But should I get a med cage x.9 or the long cage. I did the math from the http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=284688 which is 37T but I was wondering if anyone is running a similar setup and which one would be best to use. Any Pros, any Cons, anything to lookout for.

Setup: Will be SLX 2x9 at 36-22 t and a 11-34 T cassette

Thanx in advance for any help.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been running medium cage rear derailleurs on my 2x9 setups for years, they work fantastic with both 36/22 and 34/22 with an 11-34 cassette.

AZ
    banned
    I run the exact same set up , works very well .

mtbr member
    What are the advantages of running a medium vs. long cage on a 2x9? I'm considering converting to 36/24 with 11-34. Currently have an X.0 long cage. I'm assuming the shift is a little crisper but with the right chain length a long cage should still work just fine and still be plenty crisp when shifting.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Here is your answer. This is a 2x9 w SLX fd , med cage rr XO w a 24/36 chainring setup. 2x9 setup

your plan sounds solid.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

g3h6o3
    I used to run a short cage X9 on a 26-36 with a 11-34 and lost 1 gear. I'm sure the medium cage works but going with a short cage might also be doable as long as you watch out carefully for cross chaining.

Yes this is an extreme case and bad advice and I wouldn't do it because you would end up losing 3 gears I reckon. I'm just pointing it out as I wait after the computer (read bored)...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.