mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Slipping drivetrain

I have had problems ghost shifting lately in a few specific gears on my 2010 Enduro Pro. I am probably overdue for a chain replacement (already bought, just haven't installed) and the ghost shifting/skipping seems to get worse as the ride goes on. The last few times out, I cleaned the rear sprocket really well, cleaned the chain, lubed the chain, and everything seems great until I start riding in some mud...then the skipping comes back again between a few gears.

Last ride out, it felt like the drivetrain was slipping a bit when I had to mash on the pedals. By the end if the ride, there was no engagement. I would pedal and everything would just spin, but not engage the rear wheel. Can't figure out if my rear hub is toast or if my sprocket is loose. I have never really worked on this area of my bike.

Any ideas what it could be? I was already planning on buying a new SRAM 990 rear sprocket to replace my current one and have a new chain ready to go. I probably have somewhere around 2500 miles on the original parts. Hoping replacing these 2 things will fix it as I don't really want to rebuild a rear wheel and buy a new hub. Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    I'd hold back on the chain replacement, because a new chain with worn chainrings and sprockets is a recipe for even more trouble - if skipping in that area is indeed the problem. A loosened cassette lock ring should not cause what you're experiencing, because the splines still engage the hub and will not skip.

Even if the shifter cable is worn in and needs some adjustment, it should manifest as ghost shifting, but not continuous skipping where the cranks turn but the rear wheel does not.

Based on your description it sounds more like the freewheel on the hub needs a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Have you watched when the chain is slipping? I would say climb a hill and make sure to watch your drivetrain. Try to be in the gear that the slipping most frequently happens. you should see if the chain is slipping over the rear cogs or if it is slipping over the chainrings. But as chainrings do not wear as fast as the rest of your drive train, I would venture a guess that you just need to replace the things you brought up(the chain and cassette) Your lbs should be able to measure both of these things. You can measure the chain yourself at home... but the cassette there is a special tool needed to measure for wear that you wil need to buy. A simple way to measure a chain is with a ruler. as each link should be an inch long use the whole ruler as it will be hard to see the differance in one link. so measure twelve links with the whole ruler. If from the 0 of the ruler to 12 does not line up perfectly. your chain is steched....quite a bit.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "Last ride out, it felt like the drivetrain was slipping a bit when I had to mash on the pedals. By the end if the ride, there was no engagement. I would pedal and everything would just spin, but not engage the rear wheel"

Your rear hub has issues. Either your pawls are shot or you spun the hub shell ring gear. Best to disassemble the rear hub for inspection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What kind of hub is it?

EDR
    freehub failure. Let me guess...shimano xt hub?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I haven't taken anything apart (on vacation), but I can turn the pedals forward by hand with the bike standing up. It sounds to me like my freehub is toast. The wheelset is the Roval Traverse AL's that came stock with the bike. Not sure if i want to try and warranty the hub or just move on. Front wheel is in great shape, back wheel was already needing replacement due to some dings.

I have been following that carbon wheel thread, may go that direction or look to see if I can find some of the Roval EL's that are being blown out on sale.

mtbr member
    Def sounds like freehub. I replaced mine a couple of months back for the same reason.