mtbr member
    May 2009

Slack in frnt derail. cable ?

I've noticed the cable has some slack in it when I drop to small ring. No slackness when in my 32t ring (2 ring/bash). Looking around online, it seems this can be fixed w/the barrell adjustment ont the shifter? It's a Sram X5 & Sram X9 frnt derailleur. Do you adjust dropped into the small ring or leave it up on the middle?

Mostly I ride everything on the 32t so not a huge issue.

Any links or advice, thanks!

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

meh....
    didn't read the park tool guide, but on my bike i have slack when in the granny ring. i run granny and middle rings, the shifter indexing holds the middle ring position, the low limit screw holds the granny ring position and there's slack in the cable when on the granny ring. works for me.

Never trust a fart
    With the Sram FD's, cable slack when in the granny ring is pretty much normal. All the bikes I've worked on with a Sram FD do this. Including my own.

Its so that there is enough slack so when you are in the middle ring, the chain does not rub the FD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    As the others have noted, pretty much normal for a SRAM front D. It is also not uncommon for some Shimano front derailleurs depending on model and chainline. Not a big deal at all as long as it shifts the way it's supposed to.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, it looks like it'd be a problem but it rides just fine & I don't use it that much. It did occur to me that I had never looked down at the cable before to know if it was abnormal or not.

Thanks