mtbr member
    May 2005

Skipping/ratcheting

I posted this in the general discussion but I thought it'd be better here;

I just bought a used bike(Brodie Devo) and it was shipped to me and when I put it together I was getting a skipping of higher gears under pressure. It like I can't put any real pressure on the crank without skipping or ratcheting. Any ideas, I planning on taking it in for a check up before I attempt any sick sh*t.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you know how to adjust the derailleurs? Have you checked to see all is clean and lubed? Are the gears worn? Is the derailleur hanger bent?

TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Another possibility is a frozen link in the chain. To check this, spin the crank backwards (this will bind up the chain if the gear alignment is off) and watch the rear derailleur. The chain tensioner should move minimally, but if it hits a frozen or stiff link, it will generally kick pretty dramatically. It should be repeatable, so spin the crank several times and see if you can mark which link is stuck. You may also want to try this in several different gears because the cog size will affect the chains ability to deal with a stuck link.

I've had a frozen link cause a problem similar to the one you are describing....

Enjoy,

TIC

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curt_cam
    like I can't put any real pressure on the crank without skipping
    The chain is stretched, the rear cogs are ruined, and the front rings might need replacing as well. This is what happens when a chain stretches well past when it should have been replaced, it wrecks the rest of the drivetrain.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth