Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007

Skipping problem!

Ok so its probably an easy fix, but I don't know how to do it

Whenever I am in the middle/big rings and in the smallest cog (usually cruising on the road), the chain skips/misses like every 4-6 cranks. I can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How about more information on your drivetrain (how worn your chain, cogs & rings might be) especially any recent changes in any of them...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Weekend Warrior
    You probably need a new cassette, chain or ring, or a mixture of that.

I had a problem where it derailed into different gears and skipped on a certain gear. A new chain and a cassette fixed that issue quick. (also i have to mention that my derailler hanger and derailler were bent).

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    XT crank/rings have ~30mi (almost new), XT cassette ~80mi (also pretty new), Connex chain ~100mi. All 8 speed. I can't see damage anywhere...do I just not have my rear derailleur adjusted correctly, it is definitely coming from the rear...also, it only happens under load, when I put it on a stand and shift it doesn't skip at all.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you may have a stiff link in your chain....try putting it on a stand (or flipping it over) and running the cranks backwards and see if it pops up at a certain link...usually from my experience its just a stiff link if its just doing it in the smaller cogs in the back...easy fix, just grab a chain tool and play with that link, or take it out and put in a sram powerlink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a brand new Gary Fisher (1 day old) and it also skips when I am pedalling hard. I will look at the chain issue.