mtbr member
    Aug 2005

single top roller / chainguide? homemade?

Hi, did some searching, but no luck yet: Running a Zee RD with clutch on a 1x system, but need it to work with a bashguard since I like cranking over big logs/ rocks. I'm not running a guide yet, and keep dropping chain to inside on rough stuff.
    Also, my blur xc's seattube flares square at bottom, so tho I tried the N-Gear Jump Stop ( N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop ) it won't fit on the squared tube.
    I've seen full guide/bash systems that would work, but I can't justify that much $$ on simple plastic plates'n rollers!

SO... trying to work something using this Paul chainkeeper -- Paul Components Paul Chain Keeper 28.6 Black in Tree Fort Bikes Chain Guides (cat463) -- Since the usual position over/around the chainring would interfere with the bash, i'm hoping that moving it just inside of the chainring with just enough clearance to avoid rub will work... any thoughts or advice?

Haven't been able to test ride this yet. With chain on largest (34T) cog it looks like it will work, but wondering how to account for the big gap that looks like chain will fall right thru when chain is angled over to the smaller cogs. Maybe screw a little shelf onto the Paul keeper that would jut under the (upper) chain, so that despite the lateral play available it couldn't fall Down??

Consider modding an old front derailleur if that would work better?

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Use this http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/...n-catcher.html

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do you have room for a bashwich? The 1/16th inner BBG bashring works great. And it's cheap.
    Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Willembad -- thanks, but that one won't mount where it needs to, where my seat tube gets square toward the BB.

Slash5 -- Thanks too. There's almost no clearance inside. (I'm having to reverse shimano's bb-spacer instructions to get a half-decent chainline, which puts near-zero clearance for chain/chainstay, let alone an inner guide ring. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that when the previous owner replaced the linkages, he misplaced a spacer or something in THAT process?? I haven't ever worked on Blur linkages, so I don't know if that's even possible, but this clearance vs chainline issue seems so bad that I've gotta look into it.)