mtbr member

Single speed conversion ?'s

So i've been riding my Haro Flightline Comp since last summer, and I can say I love the bike (hats off to Haro). My only issue is that while I ride I notice how little I use the front derailleur. Its got a 9-spd rear der. and I believe that will be enough for me, since im only a young gun, and I THINK I can muscle around with only 9-spds. Now, im just wondering what crankset do I get that wont break the bank (XTR, Saint, XX....etc), but that will be decent, that will let me run a 32t or bigger front chain ring only (subject to opinion....please feel free to help me choose the correct chainring size). I know how to work on bikes myself and I can do all the labor, I just need some assistance on picking the cranks, chain tensioner and the bash guard. Input very much appreciated.
    -Don

Feeling retro..but Jung
    I have a truvativ firex gxp 1.1..it fine but not the lightest..or you can run the one you have taking off the 2 rings you don't want anymore probally the large and granny 32t will be fine..you can then add a bash guard if that pleases you..I would recommend getting a non-pin'd non-ramped chain ring..you can/should a chain keeper of some sort but I have had success with just running the chain a bit shorter than is normal..

and you conversion is not SS it's 1x9..SS is exactly that single speed/one gear
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Okay that sounds good. I'll look at my cranks tomorrow when I get a chance. I'll also do a 1x9 conversion search on the forum too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Consider doing it in steps.

First use your experience and determine the chainring size that will give you the gear range you'll need. If you rarely use the outer with the smaller cassette cogs, you can afford to shrink it a bit, or try riding with only the middle ring for a while and decide if it's too big, too small or just about right.

If the middle chainring is about the right size, consider going to a 1x9 by simply removing the outer and granny rings and FD. Using the middle ring on triple cranks usually yields a decent chainline. You'll need shorter chainring bolts which cost $5.00-10.00 for the set. Or you can leave the outer on, possibly after filling the teeth down a bit, as a bash guard, and use the original c/r bolt set. You can also replace the chainring with a larger or smaller one leaving the rest as is.

So far you've spent little or no money to try out 1x9. If you like it, you have time to research your crankset oprions and budget, or consider staying as is, maybe replacing only the chainring, and buying a proper bashguard.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.