mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Single speed chainring as chain control

I built up my first 1X9 with a SLX crank using the factory chain ring and a medium cage X7 derailleur. On this bike, I couldn't keep the chain on, any downhill or rough technical section would drop the chain. I added a bashwich and it's been golden since.

Shortly after, I built a 26er and used a cheap single speed crank with bash guard. Naturally, this crank has a single speed chainring. I've been running that bike with no chain control device at all and I've never dropped a chain.

I just converted my Kona Unit single speed to geared with the single speed crank and a medium cage X7 derailleur. Took it out for it's first run and had no problems with it either. Went down the same fast rough downhills that would drop the chain several times on the other bike and no chain drop issues. And it's a fully rigid bike so it's worse case.
    Last edited by Slash5; 09-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I built up my first 1X9 with a SLX crank using the factory chain ring and a medium cage X7 derailleur. On this bike, I couldn't keep the chain on, any downhill or rough technical section would drop the chain. I added a bashwich and it's been golden since.

Shortly after, I built a 26er and used a cheap single speed crank with bash guard and the . Naturally, this crank has a single speed chainring. I've been running that bike with no chain control device at all and I've never dropped a chain.

I just converted my Kona Unit single speed to geared with the single speed crank and a medium cage X7 derailleur. Took it out for it's first run and had no problems with it either. Went down the same fast rough downhills that would drop the chain several times on the other bike and no chain drop issues. And it's a fully rigid bike so it's worse case.
    Ramped/pinned rings are designed to shift. They derail the chain easily on purpose.
    There is no reason to use a ramped ring on a single ring drivetrain.
    Straight cut teeth do hold the chain better, and can still be used with a FD. Most of my bike are 2x with unramped rings.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common