mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Simple/lightweight bashguard/skid for XX1 with ISCG05 tabs?

I'm running XX1 and am looking for something simple and lightweight to protect the chainring from strikes when things get gnarly. I've seen a "rock ring" made by North Shore that looks decent and runs 60g but apparently doesn't fit XX1 cranks. Since my bike (Turner Burner) has ISCG05 tabs I can also go that route and maybe avoid the rotational weight as a result - something like the MRP XCG skid? Anything else out there worth a look? I don't need or want chain guides or pulleys - I haven't dropped a chain yet.

Thanks,
    Sean

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    e13 lg1r+ or whatever its called these days. 160odd grammes I recall.

linky
    Top Five: DH Chain Devices – e13 LG1+ | Dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks, but as I said I'm really not interested in anything with a chain guide and/or pulley system as I've found XX1 doesn't drop the chain as-is.

-Sean

mtbr member
    MRP XCG Bashguard is probably going to be the best/lightest option. You can modify the eThireen models to work, and lighten them by hacksawing pieces off, but that's just throwing money away.

EDIT: Actaully, it looks like that North Short Billet rock ring is made specifically for XX1 cranks: Universal Cycles -- North Shore Billet XX1 Rock Ring

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah that's one I was looking at (well the ISCG05 model actually), just not sure whether it's XX1 compatible. I assume so as it's designed for double-ring cranks, but since their site doesn't mention XX1 explicitly I wanted to get feedback from anyone who's tried it.

-Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post

EDIT: Actaully, it looks like that North Short Billet rock ring is made specifically for XX1 cranks: Universal Cycles -- North Shore Billet XX1 Rock Ring

I saw that too, but when you go to the North Shore Billet site, they say explicitly that their 1x11 model does NOT work with XX1's spider.

111 Rock Rings North Shore Billet

-Sean

mtbr member
    It'll work, and won't interfere with the crank as it's a taco style guard. You may need to add a small spacer on the drive side of the crank, but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    I'd give Universal Cycles a call and see what's up. Either they photoshopped that image, or it fits SRAM XX1 cranks. It's possible that the model on the NSB website is different than what Universal is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsean View Post
    I saw that too, but when you go to the North Shore Billet site, they say explicitly that their 1x11 model does NOT work with XX1.

111 Rock Rings North Shore Billet

-Sean

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I'd give Universal Cycles a call and see what's up. Either they photoshopped that image, or it fits SRAM XX1 cranks. It's possible that the model on the NSB website is different than what Universal is selling.
    I think the answer is that NSB requires their own spider. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see the spider is not the standard XX1 spider, but instead NSB's.

Compare:

SRAM XX1 Crankset | SRAM

to:

111 Spiders for SRAM XX1, X0, & X9 Cranks North Shore Billet

-Sean

mtbr member
    Anyone put a e*thirteen turbocharger on an XX1? I have one lying around so it saves me money to re-use it .. also, have a TRS+ Dual Guide lying around.. obviously not running 2X with a new XX1 crank....but any reason I shouldn't keep using my TRS+ Dual Guide? Woudl it be better to sell my harly used Turbo Charger & TRS+ and buy the LG1 Guide/Guard instead? I know people don't typically use a chainguide at all with these... so maybe just use the turbocharger alone?