mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Simple (hopefully) chainring question

First, I'd like to say that as a member of several internet forums, I know that drive-by posting is generally discouraged. I'm hoping your good nature will allow me to ask this question even if I don't become a regular contributor.

I am not a cyclist. What I am is a middle-aged guy with a bad back who loves camping. My back problems make it difficult for me to do a lot of walking. So a couple years ago I bought a used Palomar GT to ride around while camping. (I'm not yet ready to give in to the scooter/pit bike/golf cart thing I see so many people doing) The increased mobility has been just awesome! The only issue I have is some of the steeper hills. I often have to get off and walk the last bit like when I was kid with a one-speed. The problem I have is when I've slowed to a walking pace, I have a hard time pushing the crank over the top to the next power stroke. My question is this: If I find the correct size, can I replace just my granny ring with an elliptical?

If it matters, I have Shimano Acera derailleurs and an SR Suntour XR11 primary ringset.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

ps~ I noticed you have a beer forum. I could certainly contribute to that one. After I pour myself a Torpedo

usually cranky
    you mean like a q ring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    you mean like a q ring?
    Don't know what a q ring is. The ellipticals I'm familiar with are the Biopace, Ovaltech & Cycloid. Basically, just wondering if I can put an elliptical ring on with the existing rings and derailleur.

I remembered reading about ellipticals in PopSci Archive Viewer | Popular Science
    back in the 70s. Google found me the three I mentioned above.

usually cranky
    q ring is basically the modern incarnation of those. it should work as long as your rings arnt rivited together.