Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    I can't weld

Show pics of your 1x9 setup

It's the wave of the future. Simple, reliable, lighter. It has made me a better rider since I don't worry about getting my chain to drop into the granny gear on climbs. I just pick a line and hammer. It makes me stronger and more efficient without the knee-busting efforts of a singlespeed. Without the extra rings I can run a shorter chain and get a lot less chainslap. And there is nothing I hate more than trying to get a front derailleur to stop rubbing.

I built this up over a few months by scrounging for good deals on lightly used parts on Ebay and buying OEM take-offs from JensonUSA. I got my hydroformed aluminum Planet X frame, King headset and Thompson seatpost from Ebay for $220 total. So far I've bought every part except the fork and wheels for ~$700. Retail would have been over $1500. I should end up saving about a grand by building it myself. I built it like this because I'm north of 200# and ride the very rocky and rooted trails at Turkey Mountain in Tulsa, so durability was a priority.

Truvativ Hussefelt crank, 32T with aluminum bashguard, 22T removed. JensonUSA takeoff- $69
    Truvativ DHLT BB, 113x68. JensonUSA takeoff - $19
    SRAM PC-991 chain, solid pin. JensonUSA pricematch - $26
    SRAM X-7 rear shifter, JensonUSA takeoff - $30 for pair. Would have liked the X.0, just needed something to work with the X.0 derailleur for now. Still works great.
    SRAM PG990 11-34T cassette, the new red one. New in box from Ebay - $75
    SRAM X.0 Long Cage derailleur. Barely used on Ebay - $100
    Nokon cable housing ~$45 for front & rear, BlueSky Cycling
    Jagwire teflon coated cables, BlueSky
    NGear Jumpstop - $9 at LBS - absolutely necessary unless you enjoy stopping every 5 minutes to put chain back on the chainring.

Now let's see your setups and tell us why you chose your components.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

How About 1x8?

44T chainring and 12-25 cassette all Campy drivetrain.

I had to run it 1x for a while while I was waiting for replacement chainrings. Middle rings are tough to come by. It wasn't much of a climber but but it was a good warm up for cyclocross (ie having to run up steep climbs).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't weld

44x25 low gear?

Wouldn't that rub bad?

just looking at that makes my knees hurt.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Not That Bad

It's on par with the gearing most of the SS crowd runs.
    44-25 = 1.76:1
    2:1 is fairly standard SS gearing

What do you mean 'rub bad' ?

I can't weld
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne

What do you mean 'rub bad' ?
    When you're in the big ring in the front and back; it usually stretches the chain to the max and creates an extreme angle across the gears. It wouldn't be as bad with a 25T in the rear as it would with a 32T.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Well Technically....

...it would be the same. The 25T and 32T would be in the same position on the cassette body so the angle would be equal.

However I ran a shorter BB temporarily with the single ring. This shifted the 44T in where the middle ring would be therefore giving me a pretty good chainline and allwing the use of all 8 cogs.

mechmann_mtb
    I went 1X9 a while back and love it. 05 Specialized Enduro Expert...

Extralite 30T CR
    Spot Brand Ringguard
    N-Gear Jumpstop
    XT Cranks (tuned)
    XT Med Cage RD (Tuned with Ti and XTR parts)
    XT 11-34 cassette
    Sram PC-99 chain
    Crank Bros 2xTi pedals
    Answer Pro Taper carbon riser bar
    FSA XC115 stem
    ODI Oury grips
    LX shifter pod (tuned)
    Juicy 7 brakes (stock)
    Chris King/Mavic 819 wheels
    Fox 36R Talas (stock)

new rear shock should be in the mail (DHX Air) because my 5th Element died this past weekend

everything on my bike was chosen to reduce weight or increase strength. i weigh 200lbs and ride hard, but climb LOTS. going up then going down is what we do so, light to go up, strong for fast hard decents. i freaking hate FD's and i hate trying to tune them. besides the frame looks so much cleaner now. i only own one bike so it has to do everything for me.

Last edited by mechmann_mtb; 01-19-2006 at 10:29 PM.

I can't weld
    That's a sweet setup. What's your total weight?

mechmann_mtb
    she is still a bit heavy depending on tires. just above 30lbs with Kenda Cortez 2.4's. she is a bit heavier right now with a Kenda BG 2.35 on front with a Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST tubeless on the rear (don't know exact weight).

i could drop more weight by milling/drilling the ring guard or tuning the right shifter (i did a bunch of grinding and stuff on the left one that came off as an experiment and lost 60g or so). the seat is rather heavy as well as the grips, but i sort of like their functionality. longer seat lets me move my weight around on the climbs and the grips have a really nice solid feel to them.

i like your setup too. i would probably have a lot of pinch flats if it weren't for my 6" of rear travel though!

i do hope to build a new bike this year. i hope to get a 29er (with full gears) for when i ride with the cardio freaks. it seems that riding with those guys with this bike is a bit of a handicap they all have carbon framed super light fully geared XC machines. needless to say i struggle to keep up with them on the climbs and fire road ascents. (i make up some time going down though)

mtbr member
    Been riding this for over 2 years now. I've only dropped the chain a handful of times and it has always been in a crash, never while riding.
    Happy Trails...

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention 36T non-ramped chainring, 11-34 cassette. I live and ride in Colorado and have never run out of gears. Love 1x9 so much that I've convinced my friend to convert on his new build.
    Happy Trails...

Meh.
    Jump stop won't work with my frame. There's a weld right where it needs to clamp on.

Deore shifter
    XTR cables and housing
    XTR rear derailleur
    XTR 11-34 cassette
    Truvativ DHLT BB
    Bontrager Big Earl cranks
    E-13 Guide-ring 36t chainring - no ramps or pins with a .5mm step
    Blackspire 1/2" Lexan C4 bashguard
    MRP
    Wipperman Connex 1x9 chain

Here's the spare parts build on the Haro Escape 8.2

Deore shifter
    SRAM PG 960 11-32 cassette
    SRAM PG 960 chain
    LX rear derailleur if I can find it in my parts box, otherwise it keeps the Deore
    Cable housing has since been replaced with XTR housing
    32t chainring, flipped so the chain doesn't drop
    Shimano BB
    Bontrager Comp cranks
    MRP bashguard
    Hacked up LX front derailleur to keep the chain from dropping

Dirt Whore
    Heres my 05 Cannondale Prophet. I upgraded my crankset to the Shimano XT and decided it was time to give a Bash gaurd a try, while I was at it i took the Front D of and ditched the granny ring figureing it was time to get strong. The bashgaurd has allowed me to do a lot more, it is so fun to crash over large logs. The plastic E.thirteen slides ride over the logs, very cool. So far i have been doing allright without the granny gear.

I used the Jumpstop, the the chain has held on pretty well

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    nmnmnm
    Last edited by scrublover; 03-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

tmp
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a SC Superlight 1x9 with an old Raceface taper crank and Spot 34t ring, don't use a Jump Spot and chain drop has not been a problem on this bike for almost 3 years. My old heckler needed the JS or the chain would not stay put.
    Really like the extra ground clearence and clean look of 1X, and I never used the big or small rings anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Loving' the 1x Set-Up!!

I converted my Chester to a 1x8 set-up. Removed the smallest cog from the cassette because the Boone chainring I am using was built to sit in the 'outer' ring position and by adding a spacer behind the largest tooth, I was able to improve the chainline. My Smoothie is set-up as a 2x9, likely to also loose the smallest cog to lessen the cross chain effect. Here's the complete build.

Matt Chester Frame ( I believe the only vertical dropout Ute he ever built)
    Fox Vanilla RLC fork
    CK Ti headset
    Moots Ti Seatpost and Riser Bar
    Seven Cycles Ti stem
    Wheel set (f) Phil Wood Sl disc hub/supecomp/Dt 4.1d
    (r) CK Classic/supercomp/Mavic 3.1
    Phil Wood Ti BB
    Avid BB-7 (f) brake Avid Ultimate Vee (r) with Avid Ultimate Levers
    Boone Ti SS Chainring (31-tooth)
    Cycle Dynamics Ti 13-34 cassette
    RF Turbine Cranks
    X.0 Rear Derailleur and Twist Shifter
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

I can't weld

You win

Hands down, that's got to be the most beautiful bike ever to run 1x9.
    Awesome.

Play all day
    Here's mine. It's an '05 Voodoo Bizango. I picked up a 32T salsa chainring from my local REI and got an NGear jumpstop, and I got a bashguard off of ebay. I run a 11-34 cassette. It rides like a dream and since converting it 9 months ago it's been maintenance free. I hated that front der.

mechmann_mtb
    wow.. both of those last two are very beautiful bikes. nicely done.

MTB dad... i can't believe that you don't have problems dropping the chain, but whatever you did to keep it in place, congrats. it is so sweet and clean without the N-gear. do ride hard through rock gardens and such?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am running a...

jump stop, just not the guard. The chainring is a Boone SS ring, so it is unramped and the teeth appear to be slightly taller than a 'standard' ring as they were never designed to allow for the chain to move. The removal of one cog and the subsequent moving of the rest of the cassette 'outward' seems to keep the chainline pretty straight. I don;t ride a lot in the way of rock gardens here on Long Island, but we do have our share of root gardens that will chatter your fillings loose and knock wood (knuckle to head) no issues yet. The RD is a medium cage and I run the chain as short as possible. In the process of planning my next 'project' which will be another 1x8, probably a softtail.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

mechmann_mtb
    i too run the med length RD with a pretty short chain. i bet that boone ring helps lots. anyway you have a super sweet bike! thanks for posting pics.

i am actually thinking maybe my next build should be a 1X9. i am looking at getting one of the Niner S.I.R.9 frames. currently agonizing over color and fork choices
    Last edited by mechmann_mtb; 01-25-2006 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Boy there are some nice setups in here! Kind of making me wish I had set mine up as a 1x9 instead of a 2x9. Maybe that will be a project for next winter..........
    This space for rent.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    love the clean look, and feel of it. nice and silent up front...
    feel the same way... I'm really enjoying my 1x8

mechmann_mtb
    so i asked my LBS to get the pricing for my next potential 1X9. the S.I.R.9 in red. i want to do a red/white/blue theme. blue king hubs, red spoke nipples, red frame, red/white/blue king headset. i need to find more white parts and maybe some more blue bits (might have to look into getting some custom colors on the fork )

originally i was thinking that i could ride the 29er as a full geared bike, but i have been riding the wifes bike (05 stumpy with full compliment of gears) and i don't do well with the granny gear. even on the looooong steep climb called "Cardiac" i ride better in the middle ring than when i try to spin the granny gear. maybe it is due to riding my bike 1X9, maybe my physique isn't good for spinning.

initially i will build it up as a SS and add the gears when money is available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lesson Learned vis-a-vis Tempting...

the fates! Dropped the chain for the first time this weekend after proclaiming so authoritatively here that I have no probelsm with chain drops. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep my big mouth shut!!

MTB dad... i can't believe that you don't have problems dropping the chain, but whatever you did to keep it in place, congrats. it is so sweet and clean without the N-gear. do ride hard through rock gardens and such?
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast