Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,299 of 2299
    meow, meow.
    grisha,

this is your second appearance in this thread and I still remember the 1st version of that guide. I see you have shed lots of weight off it since. The material seems to be the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes, it is the same nylon plastic. First version is still alive, but I've decided to try to make minimal weight design.

meh?

Show pics of your 1x9 setup

Want to know more?
    Well yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadapabapadoo-op
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It is printed with selective laser sintering from nylon powder.
    I've used it for about a month now, mostly in muddy conditions. Here is how it looks right now:
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup-ultra-m1.jpg

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-ultra-m2.jpg

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-ultra-m3.jpg

As it was unpainted it got dirty very quickly. Material is porous and absorbs mud very well. I'm going to paint it, this will fill the surface pores and will help to keep it clean.

It is designed for 32-36t chainring, 48-51 mm chainline. Seattube mount clamp is made for 31.8 mm tube, but I'm going to add other common sizes soon.

Right now I'm making small web page about it, so anyone who wants can print his own copy of this chain guide: Ultralight Chain Guide - Carrot Tread

As a bonus, there is a complete story of my first 3d printed chain guide: Chainguide Prototypes, part 1 - Carrot Tread

mtbr member
    I like the simplicity of a 1x9 setup. The problem is, here in the Rocky Mtns I use my smallest 22x34 gear, quite a bit.

Playing with the gear calculator on Sheldon Brown's website, I bet I could lose 1 gear and still maintain. What could work is a 28 tooth chainring up front, and a 36 tooth cassette. I currently run a Truvativ triple cransket (nothing direct mount about it) and a SRAM 990 11-34 cassette. I've read many of these threads but I still don't see the best option for me jumping out - not many 36 tooth cassettes and the one Shimano HG can damage hubs? I guess I understand the companies like SRAM don't want to impact their 10 and 11 speed sales. Meantime, I guess I can always experiment with NOT shifting down to my smallest gears on some of my local rides, see how that goes.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

meow, meow.
    You're not likely to damage a decent hub's engagement mechanism with a 28-36 gear. Perhaps they meant mangling HG splines on aluminum freehub with a spiderless cassette such as 9 speed Deore: this *is* possible in that gear. If you want an affordable 36T cassette in 1x9, you're basically limited to that boat anchor Deore.

Check out mid-range Shimano 1x10 components. Zee derailer and shifter, SLX cassette.

What model is your Truvativ crankset? If it's AKA or X.9, or X.0, then it will be a very elegant solution running a 28T in front. But if it's a 64/104 BCD non-removable spider such as Stylo, X.7 or FireX, running a 28T is going to be ugly (likely doable but I advice not going that route now that we have a choice).
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    What model is your Truvativ crankset? If it's AKA or X.9, or X.0, then it will be a very elegant solution running a 28T in front. But if it's a 64/104 BCD non-removable spider such as Stylo, X.7 or FireX, running a 28T is going to be ugly (likely doable but I advice not going that route now that we have a choice).
    My mistake, I forgot I replaced the Truvativ with a similar LX crankset (yes LX, before SLX, probably a 2011 model?). I think you are right I would have to upgrade to 10 speed, as the best path, to achieve what I want to do, probably including a crankset as well. Maybe I will go that route, if I continue to ride my 2007 Stumpjumper a few more years. I see 1x11 as one of the best upgrades to a bike but not many bikes shipping with it yet, maybe in a couple years it will be more the standard. Thanks.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    my guide, a reflector clamp, and a corner of a plastic cutting board. both free!:

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-837608d1381238554-budget-trek-fuel-diet-shit-addictive-20131008_091751.jpg

works great with a standard narrow/narrow front chainring and an old-school medium cage der.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shupack View Post
    my guide, a reflector clamp, and a corner of a plastic cutting board. both free!
    works great with a standard narrow/narrow front chainring and an old-school medium cage der.
    That's my next step if the narrow wide doesn't arrive today...

NedwannaB
    my guide, a reflector clamp, and a corner of a plastic cutting board. both free!:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	837608d1381238554-budget-trek-fuel-diet-shit-addictive-20131008_091751.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	855282

And old skool xtr cranks too! I'm running those on my single speed, is that a 4 or 5 arm spider?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    it was a 5 bolt spider, I found an old spot SS ring with better condition cranks for $50, so I traded up

the spider is still at the used parts store if you're looking for one, I can buy it back.

NedwannaB
    it was a 5 bolt spider, I found an old spot SS ring with better condition cranks for $50, so I traded up

the spider is still at the used parts store if you're looking for one, I can buy it back.
    Thanks, but no thanks. What I need is another Spot ring as I couldn't find any at the time when mine wore out! Thus having to use the multi-ring spider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been watching ebay for a while, nothing... but absolute black told me this summer they'd have one ready last month, so maybe by spring?

Sram Spiderless

NedwannaB
    I've been watching ebay for a while, nothing... but absolute black told me this summer they'd have one ready last month, so maybe by spring?

Sram Spiderless
    Yeah doesn't look like they have the 950 series tho, or I didn't see it anyway. I do remember at one point seeing another outfit(??) making some splined rings for them but pricey and had already got the spider setup. And the 104 rings are all over the place and pretty inexpensive as you know. Would be cool to get the cleaner look again with a spiderless (now called direct mount?) but I may put my e13/Hive cranks on my SS and be moving these over to put a spare frame together as a back up/loaner ss for rider friends interested in trying it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Late night assembly? ^_^
    Now I finally got it! The chain is supposed to be threaded THROUGH the upper guide. Silly me for not realizing that earlier.

Oh, at least I have learned to pedal in the correct direction...
    Last edited by sasu; 12-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.

meow, meow.
    Ouch. Sorry for not telling it explicitly to you.. well, fckups just happen; I, for example, seem to be unable to avoid them with any amount of practice. All it takes is a slip of attention, and that is a thing contested upon these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

e13 narrow wide 34t chainring
    XT 11-34 cassette
    Saint short cage rear mech

Still having slight chain alignment issues when on my largest rear. e13 chainring set to its closest setting, only one spacer on my drive side crank and just the one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the Saint BB as per the Shimano instructions. I'm guessing I'll have to ditch the 2.5mm spacer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Cannondale Jekyll 600 All Mountain Frame, 5" Travel BBG Bashwich up front with 32t chain ring.. No need for chain guide, no dropped chains yet!
    XT rear derailleur, and deore shifter. (both are old and then pivots are loose on derailleur. Looking to upgrade to Saint derailleur/shifter, or go the sram x9 route depending on what I can find cheaper

mtbr member

Here's my set up. X9 non- clutch RD, Sram 990 cassette modded to 11-38, XX1 crank, NSB direct mount 28t ring and an MRP AMG bash / retainer thing. Works flawless.

meow, meow.
    If the 29er bug bites me I take Honzo too..

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about 1x9 drivetrain, to. I found one producer in Poland but production will start at the half of the year: Strona g?ówna - HCC Components

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    1x9 setup
    11-38t cassette with mtb tool cog, I swaped the 13 an 15 t cogs with a 14t shimano cog on my sram 990 cassette. Then I grinded the 11t cog to fit on the 14t cog to maintain the proper distance between all the sprocket. I use a 32t blackspire n/w chainring. I'll just have to put a rear 10 speed shimano derailleur with a clutch on my 9 speed sram xo shifter!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi "the rock", did you get a chance to ride with this mtb tool cog ? I'm looking for a chip large cog for 9 speed.

Thanks

jfb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi there. I am from Belgium in Europe. Here is my 1x9 frankentransmission:
    RF NW 32T chainring
    Shimano XT 11-34 cassette with a Specialites TA 40T cog.
    I had to customize a little bit the cassette: I removed the 11-13-15 t cogs and replaced them by some 12 & 14 t cogs. I also had to to file down two plots at the rear of the cassette to adjust correctly the 40 t cog (it would not be necessary with a Sram cassette I think).
    Didn't have to adjust the chain lenght nor the b-screw of my old xtr (long cage but not shadow type) derailleur.
    I know have a 12/14/17/20/23/26/30/34/40 cassette that works very smoothly. Incredible how easy it's been and how good it works.
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup-flux-1x9-citadelle2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2010 Rockhopper SL Expert 1x10

Posted on here before but I've done some upgrades.

Upgrades:

Raceface grips
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Shimano SPD pedals
    Shimano XT brakes
    Specialized The Captain Control Armadillo Elite tires (tubeless)
    XT wheelset w/American Classic valves
    Hope 32T aluminum chainring w/BBG bashguard
    Hope chainguide
    Shimano XT 10sp chain
    XT 10sp cassette
    XT shadow+ 10sp derailluer
    XT shifter
    Jagwire red cable housing
    Rockshox Reba SL fork

Things I want to upgrade still:

Carbon seatpost
    Carbon handlebar
    lighter cranks/BB
    lighter pedals
    Ice tech pads and rotors

Weighs just about 25 lbs, I love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

meow, meow.
    Looks legit! I'd fine tune the cockpit and leave it be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is this a 29r?

You remember what kind of how guide that is? Like a model? I'm goin to search it. Looks light,simple, and effective.

How much diff goin to tubeless?

Hope chainguide

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irocss85 View Post
    Is this a 29r?

You remember what kind of how guide that is? Like a model? I'm goin to search it. Looks light,simple, and effective.

How much diff goin to tubeless?

Hope chainguide
    It's a 26er. And... I bought the guide about a year ago but as far as I know Hope might only make the one kind so it shouldn't be hard to find. It was about $66 when I bought it on Ebay. It's a nice guide but make sure you get it close enough to the chain where it can't jump off and get jammed between the chainring and the guide because I had that problem at first.

Tubeless was easy for me because I got tubeless wheels so I didn't have to use any rim tape or anything like that. I got the XT wheelset for about $250 from Ebay, and the valves were $15. The tires were tubeless ready and have a tight bead so I just put them on the wheel with the valves on there and squirted the sealant in there and spun it around and inflated the tire: easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the reply. But iw as wondering about the diff you might have noticed while riding after the tubeless conversion?

I got some tubeless rims already for my 26er. Just waiting for the valves to come in.

Goin to start figuring out what wheels to get for my 29er though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Looks legit! I'd fine tune the cockpit and leave it be.
    It is a great bike but I also want to upgrade the cranks because I am embarrassed to have that cruddy crankset on my bike with all the other bling on it. My friend who works at a bike shop said I could save a good bit of weight if I upgrade the cranks and BB.

Eventually I think I will bling it out more with small details like black bashguard with red chainring bolts, red water bottle cage bolts, and maybe a brown Brooks saddle and red seatpost clamp to give it some more character in addition to the other upgrades I want to do. I wanted to use a gold Ti KMC X10 SL chain but Shimano recommends the dyna-sys components together because they "work better" together supposedly and I didn't want to chance it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irocss85 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. But iw as wondering about the diff you might have noticed while riding after the tubeless conversion?

I got some tubeless rims already for my 26er. Just waiting for the valves to come in.

Goin to start figuring out what wheels to get for my 29er though.
    Oh, not too sure about 29er wheels, but definitely get something that is tubeless ready so you don't have to convert it or whatever.

And as far as the difference while riding it definitely felt lighter after that, love it!

meow, meow.
    FeedTheWolf,

well.. there's no perfect crankset as far as I know. XTR are surely nice, but they have been getting ugly looks lately. A 970 still looks good though (IMHO). I'd go with Truvativ X9 (or AKA if you can find it cheap): it's heavier than XTR and is less convenient with crank attachment than HT2 (but similar to 970) but it has removable spider which is perfect for 1xN. With a narrow-wide ring you could probably drop the need for upper chain cage. And it would look super clean without spider/bolts/cage. And at X0 level you can even beat XTR weight, but at the cost of going carbon (watch out for obstacle strikes) and the look would be less stealth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    J. Random Psycho,

I was looking at XTR and X9. What do you think of XT? Also what is AKA?

meow, meow.
    AKA is very similar to X9, I don't know what's the difference between them. They even look the same. But AKA was cheaper and has been put off production. Maybe one of those marketing games the industry loves to play on us.

I ride an AKA on my do-all (dirt/urban) SS for 1.5 years now, no complaints.. not the laterally stiffest crankset around but does the job -- and in the looks department, with ring installed spiderless, it combines the best of MTB and BMX cranksets.

XT is nice of course, but crank arms + shaft weigh about the same as SLX. Can't go wrong with either for 1xN if your front ring is 30T or bigger. For me the major letdown of most Shimano cranksets is the non-removable spider but that's mostly because I run 28-14 on SS, and not because of looks. Though I was spoiled early on in my 1xN career with a Middleburn RS7 Uno crankset. )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    J. Random Psycho,

I was looking at XTR and X9. What do you think of XT? Also what is AKA?
    The X9 with a direct mount ring will look something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your 1x9 setup-1x10.jpg  

meow, meow.
    That's a last generation Blur XCc before they abandoned it for 27.5" heresies?

mtbr member
    That's a last generation Blur XCc before they abandoned it for 27.5" heresies?
    Yes it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the advice, J Random.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey, sorry for posting again. I did a few key upgrades to my baby and she is about 24 pounds now.

I added:
    Easton EC70 low riser bar
    Thomson X4 Elite stem with Ti bolts
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Shimano XT crankset with Ti chain ring bolts
    Ice Tech pads and Ice Tech XTR rotors
    Specialized Ground Control 2.2 front, Fast Trak Control 2.2 rear, both tubeless

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Good job! 1x9 setup...with NW

Works Great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your 1x9 setup-img_1392.jpg  

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-img_1394.jpg  

meow, meow.
    Have you tried it without lower roller? (Too bad all Shadow+ and Type 2 derailers are for 10 speed, unless one runs a Shadow+ with 9 speed SRAM shifter.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Yep

Have you tried it without lower roller? (Too bad all Shadow+ and Type 2 derailers are for 10 speed, unless one runs a Shadow+ with 9 speed SRAM shifter.)
    Yep I tried, it worked, but on moody trail the rear derailleur is tossed. The lower roller just keeping the chain tight.
    I know about the SRAM shifter with Shadow+ combination, that is my next upgrade.

mtbr member

chainguard question

These bikes are all pretty awesome. But i have a chainguard question.

I ran my 90's Airborne hardtail with a 1x8 (didn't have a 9-speed cassette) for a few years before I converted it to ss. I had a 34 or 32 on the front. No outer or inner chainguard. The chain never came off, and I'm a chubby guy, as was riding some steep stuff at the time.

So... are these guards really necessary? I ask because I may convert my current 3x9 hardtail and don't want to muck it up too badly in case my results witht he Airborne were a fluke.

- Elvis

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    all you need is a bash guard

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonerider View Post
    These bikes are all pretty awesome. But i have a chainguard question.

I ran my 90's Airborne hardtail with a 1x8 (didn't have a 9-speed cassette) for a few years before I converted it to ss. I had a 34 or 32 on the front. No outer or inner chainguard. The chain never came off, and I'm a chubby guy, as was riding some steep stuff at the time.

So... are these guards really necessary? I ask because I may convert my current 3x9 hardtail and don't want to muck it up too badly in case my results witht he Airborne were a fluke.

- Elvis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey View Post
    all you need is a bash guard
    Thanks. I was hoping that.

- Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonerider View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping that.

- Brian
    If you aren't dropping the chain you don't. Kinda depends on the terrain you ride. Rocky rough downhills cause it a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Here's my 1x9. Saint cranks with a raceface NW 32t chainring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    If you aren't dropping the chain you don't...
    Then i should be good if I do it to my other bike. I'm taking baby steps I removed the big ring so it's a 2x9 for now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have camber comp fsr 26er with 9speed 11-34t cassette in back. i am looking to go1x9 with 11-40t in back. What is the cheapest drop in 40t cog? I am not looking to drill holes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

On a 9 speed. Unsure how to go about that. You would need to find a cassette that you can remove a single sprocket. Probably the 17t. I'm using 1x10 now with a one up 42t. Check ebay often you can find wolftooth, one up and e13 ring quite cheap on there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a cassette that I believe I can remove a single sprocket. These e13 and oneup and wolftooth all appear to say 10 speed. Can it also be used with 9 speed?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I don't see why not. My crankset said 10spd and I used it 1x9 for ages before switching.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I would think a 9spd chain will work ok.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Id be real interested if that works. I was under the impression that 10 sp. cassettes had a closer distance between each ring compared to a 9 sp. So, you'd have to have a 10 sp. shifter as well?
    Then of course that wouldn't be a 1X9 anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    as I understand it, it should work. essentially I will remove some middle cog from the cassette to make room for adding the 40t cog. Some custom shim might be required to back the 40t off the (existing) 34t, but I think that shim might be included with some of these 40t gears.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    Then of course that wouldn't be a 1X9 anymore.
    Let's just pretend this thread is called 1xN and is dedicated to any single front ring, rear derailer based, chain drivetrains.

mtbr member
    There is a discussion about using a Absolute Black 40T ring with a 9 speed cassette that starts with this post:

WolfTooth Components Thread

RIP Friendgirl

My 1X9

[AT

28T granny, 36-12 9sp cassette, Saint SS derailleur, Jump Stop & Stinger chain guide + Blackspire Granny God Bash Ring.

Can substitute a 26T ring for long climbing days.

TACH=CONFIG]945834[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your 1x9 setup-img_0607.jpg  

SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

meow, meow.
    Bordershy, nice! What I like the best there is that no exotic parts are used.

RIP Friendgirl
    The Blackspire GrannyGod was a tough find. I did put a double bend in the stinger bracket to put the chain in the grove of the roller.

I would love to build a 40-11 9sp cassette if it wasn't such a pain money wise.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    bordershy, what cassette did you use for your conversion?

RIP Friendgirl
    Hg-61 36-12

mtbr member
    So I currently have a 2x9 setup. I don't need my highest gears. If I went absolute black 26t 64bcd chain ring. What would I need out back? I currently have a x7 with 11-34 cassette. I was looking to go 1x10 but 1x9 would work fine. If I can get a new cassette and knock the bottom ring off and use a different lock nut awesome. This thread is huge so sorry if this is repeated.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TalMiz View Post
    Yep I tried, it worked, but on moody trail the rear derailleur is tossed. The lower roller just keeping the chain tight.
    I know about the SRAM shifter with Shadow+ combination, that is my next upgrade.
    Will a 9 speed sram shifter work with this? That would save if I only had to get the clutch derrailuer. This is the first I have heard of this. I thought Sram 1x1 actuation had to work with Sram. Please inform me more about this. Looks like I have lots of reading to do now that I have found this thread.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: Show pics of your 1x9 setup

Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Will a 9 speed sram shifter work with this? That would save if I only had to get the clutch derrailuer. This is the first I have heard of this. I thought Sram 1x1 actuation had to work with Sram. Please inform me more about this. Looks like I have lots of reading to do now that I have found this thread.
    Yep, it works.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    I have camber comp fsr 26er with 9speed 11-34t cassette in back. i am looking to go1x9 with 11-40t in back. What is the cheapest drop in 40t cog? I am not looking to drill holes.
    No real "cheap" way to convert a 9spd with an add on cog. Least "inexpensive" way is a Shimano HG61 12-36t 9 spd cassette and adjust your front ring down a size to give you the same gear as you would with the 40t granny setup.
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-11-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Yes. SRAM 9 spd works to shift a Shimano 10 spd Dynasis clutch derailleur using a 9 spd cassette and chain. Most only need a slight adjustment on the cable clamp attachment. Lots of posts in here about that setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Oneup 30t

Installed Oneup 30t Show pics of your 1x9 setup-image.jpg

No dropped chains after today's ride. Show pics of your 1x9 setup-image.jpg

DaFaJa
    Some really clean set up's
    LBS just told me that there is no way to run a 1x9 set up on my 06 Specialized XC, So after seeing this thread I want to do it now!
    First off, What rear derailleur on a budget & how do I know what size I would need?
    I still have the stock 3x crank in with the large ring swapped out for a bash guard..I want that clean lighter look..Thanks for any help in advance!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    New LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Wen I went 1x9 all I did was stuck a NW on the front. Same stock rear de and cranks. Worked fine.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1200 View Post
    Wen I went 1x9 all I did was stuck a NW on the front. Same stock rear de and cranks. Worked fine.

Really?
    I will have to try this...Thank you!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Yea. Stuck a 32t NW where my old middle ring was. No bash. Fitted the 104 BCD fine. Ran like a beauty.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross1200 View Post
    Yea. Stuck a 32t NW where my old middle ring was. No bash. Fitted the 104 BCD fine. Ran like a beauty.
    Hard Tail or Full Suspension?
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Hardtail 29er

DaFaJa
    Any one know if this will work with a FS 26er?
    Tampa FL USA

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    Did on mine.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Did on mine.
    With no other mods?
    Tampa FL USA

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    With no other mods?
    2011 Blur XC
    32t Narrow Wide and X7 and 11-34 rear with the chain resized to give most tension I could safely get allowing for suspension travel.

NedwannaB
    Wheel size has no bearing on this. Now the type of suspension might, yes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey guys, thought I could ask here instead of creating a new thread; I have Shimano Altus 3x8, I'm thinking of buying the Shimano Saint Crankset to go 1x8. Do I need anything else? My rings are riveted so my only option (well, I don't want to drill out the rivets) is to get a new crankset.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceps View Post
    Hey guys, thought I could ask here instead of creating a new thread; I have Shimano Altus 3x8, I'm thinking of buying the Shimano Saint Crankset to go 1x8. Do I need anything else? My rings are riveted so my only option (well, I don't want to drill out the rivets) is to get a new crankset.
    As long as the new ring can run an 8 spd chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ohh well I feel stupid, thanks god I asked. Sorry I'm new on this xD. Would this work: Shimano Deore 10 speed s+ r d (says dyna-sys), 10 speed casette (CS-HG62), Zee shifter and Saint crankset?

mtbr member
    Any 8,9 or 10 speed chainring will work with a 8 speed chain, so you can pretty much install any crankset with any chainring and it should work with your with your current setup.
    You may want to also change the chain to a 9 or 10 speed if the 8 speed chain is not flexible enough and gives you trouble in the extreme high or low gears of the cassette.

If your current crankset handled your riding then a Saint is probably overkill and any Shimano mountain crankset will do the job.
    Last edited by cyberavner; 01-06-2015 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberavner View Post
    Any 8,9 or 10 speed ring will work with a 8 speed chain, so you can pretty much install any crankset with any chainring and it should work with your with your current setup.
    You may want to also change the chain to a 9 or 10 speed if the 8 speed chain is not flexible enough and gives you trouble in the extreme hi or low gears of the cassette.

If your current crankset handled your riding than a Saint is probably overkill and any Shimano mountain crankset will do the job.
    Nice Thanks, and yes is definitely an overkill but a deore crankset(ie) is only $10 cheaper haha

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I'm using a saint crank on a 1x10. Def overkill but I like the security that it ain't gonna break being a heavier weighted man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is my 1x9 conversion, with a little help from Wrath of Khan, who posted a while back on his conversion on his similar bike.

It is a 2001 Specialized Enduro, with BETD linkage and many other upgrades. I switched out the old E-type BB with a regular, old school taper spindle BB so I could use my old cranks. The Raceface 30t NW ring fit perfectly. I got the bolt shims, but ended not needing them, since the chainring bolts I had (also raceface from a set of Turbine rings) fit perfectly.
    I am still using my original XT rear rear d/r (non clutch).

It all works very well, super quiet, no skipping and so far, no dropped chains. Even on some rough, rooted trail, no issues.

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-z8cohkil.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Rockhopper 1x9

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but been lurking for a long time.

Thought I would share my 2008 Rockhopper that I converted to 1x9 a year ago. 32 tooth RF N/W ring, new SLX 11/34 cassette and new chain is all I added. lost about 600g losing all the other stuff.

Kept the deore long cage RD with no chain retention device and only dropped the chain on gnarly descents. Borrowed the Sram x9 short cage RD and shifter off my downhill bike for a while and that made a huge difference, crisp shifts no dropped chains.

Ive had the deore RD back on now for about 6 months and not dropped a chain once, even in the same places that it used to fall off! Weird. This setup has covered just over 1000kms and going strong.

Here are some pics when I first installed the gear.

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-20140104_111926111.jpg

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-20140104_111953111.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here's my Dexter Weight Weenie build, SRAM 1 x 9!
    X0 Brakes, Derailleur, Grip Shifter (1 x 9, 11-34 XTR cassette)
    Next Sl Cranks, 26t single. Made for climbing. I can live with 26/11 at speed.
    SID RLT Dual Air
    Fox RP23 shock(standard)
    Thomson post
    Eggbeaters, to be upgraded to Xpedo Ti/Ti (-60g)
    EC90 wheelset
    Stan's Maxxis Larsen Exception Silkworm TT FR:2.1 R:1.9
    Ashima Aireon rotors
    Plastic bottle cage(bontrager)
    Ritchey foam grips(awesome!)
    Selle Italia Saddle (220g, nothing special, may be upgraded)
    BSA30 sleeve to nix BB30
    Soon to be under 22lb.
    Apologies for the one sideways pic, computer deficient skills.
    Rides like a dream, only gripe is a bit of bob standing and mashing, would like RP23 tuned to actually lockout, right now lockout means nothing! Typical RP23 problem...Frame was exactly 6.02lbs bare, medium size. Rides faster than my old On One Scandal hardtail when climbing! I can't really explain why, but it does, it seems to almost self-propel itself a little, don't know why! Love it.

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-20150217_164614.jpgShow pics of your 1x9 setup-20150217_164652.jpgShow pics of your 1x9 setup-20150217_164705.jpgShow pics of your 1x9 setup-20150217_164625.jpg
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup-20150217_162152.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Show pics of your 1x9 setup-image.jpg

My current set up 30t/12-36 i like it so far

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dhindo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	967890

My current set up 30t/12-36 i like it so far

replaced shifter and r/d with sram x7...i just love the 1:1 shiftingShow pics of your 1x9 setup-750.jpg

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dhindo View Post
    replaced shifter and r/d with sram x7...i just love the 1:1 shiftingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	750.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	973742
    Dang that looks fast, like a fighter jet on the tarmac ready for take off!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

technically a 1x8...

09 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc - everything replaced except the frame

by civsix, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Wifey's bike as it should have come from the factory. RF n/w cr. Never skips and she thinks it's pretty. The stock 11-34 cassette is fine. She never used the 34, it's pretty flat around here. But we went with 165mm cranks, which is like going down a tooth in the back, so it worked out.

In terms of cranks, there are some nice RF units on ebay for about $140, with ring and bb. However I think the best deal out there right now are some XT Deore cranks on pricepoint for $130 with bb. Got some for my bike, put the rings up on ebay, they are going for $11 right now. Plus I could sell the bb. Winds up being a great deal, and those XT crankarms are niiiiice, they feel lighter than the RF units. Love the Hollowtech, just don't forget to order that $2 "bearing preload bolt" tool.

Wellgo magnesium pedals, just a stupid good deal. Light, grippy, pretty colors. Cheap enough to buy a new pair every season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show pics of your 1x9 setup-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    30t RF NW & 11-36 SunRace cassette. I tried an X-9 short cage but it wouldn't clear the two largest cogs no matter how I adjusted the b-screw and it shifted like crap so I went back to my original long cage and haven't dropped the chain yet.

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-drivetrain-02-med.jpg

Show pics of your 1x9 setup-right-02-med.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey I am curious if youguys have a suggestion to run a 9 speed rear cassette with a short cage derailleur. I have a partially used xtr cassette sitting in a box (from when I went X1) that I wanted to put on my daughters bike. She had an 8 speed clunker drivetrain that only went to 28t in the rear. I tried putting an old XT derailleur I had on there, but the 20" wheels are so small that the derailleur is almost hitting the tire. I thought I could just get a short cage, but they seem rare now. Then I saw the Zee derailleurs that seemed to fit the bill (FR) version, but of course they are for 10 speed.

Reading/searching led me to believe it may work with a sram shifter and maybe a spacer or maybe not, but a lot on here seem to have the saint der and I was wondering if you are just using a SRAM 9 speed trigger and whether it is the same as the zee or not.

I could try the XT derailleur, but it is from 13 years ago and I need new pulleys anyway to make it work decent so I wanted to get something else instead of dropping money on something that would just go away. Anyway if anyone has the cliff notes for this I would appreciate it.

Edit:These links have enough info I think.
    SRAM 9 speed twist shifter + Shimano 10 speed derailleur

Anyone using 9-speed Sram shifter with Shimano 10-speed derailleur? | Ridemonkey Forums
    Last edited by sxotty; 02-28-2017 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Why would it be ugly?
    I'm thinking of going 1x9 with a 28T at the 64BCD location, and a bashguard on the outer 104BCD...

meow, meow.
    Hm. 64 BCD 28T 1x rings were rare, and none were the narrow-wide type, at the time I wrote that. Still, the chainline would be suspect, and the new rings are aluminum.

Also note there are now 28T steel X-Sync spider-rings by SRAM (that suit their splined interface), and they are rather cheap and beefy (heavy).

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223