• 06-17-2013
    rfxc
    show me a 36t or 34t middle ring for this 10sp crankset? Shimano M552, 42/32/24
    I've got a bike on the way with this Shimano M552, 42/32/24 crankset.

I'm going to remove the 42t big ring and replace with a bash, and want to run a 36t in the "middle" position, result = 24/36 double, w/ 10 speed rear end. I've seen other threads about this crank... what bashguard to buy, what front der works, etc, but nothing pointing to a 36t ring.

I'd like to stick with shimano rings if I can. Every shimano 36t ring I see for sale online comes with a disappointing caveat: "9 speed compatible" or "for use as 26-36-48 triple". also seems like the profiling around chainring/crank interface is somewhat specific and make create compatibility issues even if BCD is aligned...

Find me a chainring on ebikestop. universal, treefort, jensen, anywhere?

Exactly what 34t or 36t chainring will work and shift well on this crank, making a double 24/36 bash?
  • 06-17-2013
    rfxc
    I believe the 9 vs 10 speed doesn't matter (right?), but concerned about shift ramps being aligned properly, etc... or does that even matter much?
  • 06-17-2013
    Leech73
    Why stick with Shimano, Blackspire makes excellent rings that will fit.
  • 06-17-2013
    carlhulit
    Race face makes a turbine ring that works well for this with nice shifting ramps.
  • 06-17-2013
    berettadave
    I did this exact thing on the exact same crank set. Went with the raceface set( 24/36/bash turbine rings). Shifted great. Later switched out the 36 with a Middleburn 34 tooth ring just to try. Worked equally as well.
  • 06-17-2013
    rfxc
    Based on a few posts and online descriptions, I was paranoid that profiling on either the rings or crank mating surface made raceface rings incompatible with shimano spider. Super cool to hear that this worked from a person with firsthand experience. Thanks!

One more question for berrettadave or others:
    If you chose to run this as a 2x without a bash... I need shorter chainring bolts (done). And: is the space between the crank and the 36t ring small enough to get the chain wedged in there? Typical "outer" rings usually have a pin to prevent this, but alas the 34 and 36t rings from raceface and blackspire do not (that i can see).
  • 06-17-2013
    berettadave
    I didn't run mine without a bash but I don't see why you couldn't. I adjusted my front derailleur so it couldn't shift past the middle ring position. Never once did it try to drop to the outside. If you check out Raceface's site, you will see the listing for the set I used. Came with both rings and bash. It's compatible with both 9 and 10 speeds.

Dave
  • 06-17-2013
    rfxc
    Cool.

I'm going to use a MRP 2x guide, which is incompatible with bash rings.

So obviously I don't expect to chain to drop, but it could still come off the top of the ring, and if it can wedge itself between the arm and middle ring position it could be a ride ender.
  • 06-17-2013
    Leech73
    Re: show me a 36t or 34t middle ring for this 10sp crankset? Shimano M552, 42/32/24
    Running 2x10 on a triple crank (slx) without bash and no chainguide for a while now, no problems with overshifting. But I was able to lower my FD a little, so that might help
  • 06-19-2013
    rfxc
    Leech and BerrettaDave:
    When you made the conversion, did you continue to use your 3x front der with adjusted limit screws?

Or is there an advantage of a 2x front der for such a conversion?

Bike comes with a 3x front der obviously, but I have a brand new 2x sitting in a box. Is it worth swapping out the front der?
  • 06-19-2013
    Leech73
    Used the 3x FD with the limit screws adjusted, no problems. Only reason why I might have mounted a 2x (SLX 9sp) is that it has a shorter cage, so chainrub would occur less. But till no I did not have the urge...
    Might be going to 1x10 soon, then the FD is gone anyway..
  • 06-20-2013
    berettadave
    Same here. Just adjusted the limits on my XT 3x derailleur. Worked great. Funny thing, I've since gone to a 2x specific crank, 2x front derailleur and shifters set on 2x. Thought this would even be better....boy was I wrong. My old 552 crank and 3x setup(converted to 2x)shifted much better than this new XT 2x specific setup. I may be switching back soon.