mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Should there be play in my front derailleur?

I noticed while cleaning my bike over the weekend that there is some play in the pivot points of the front derailleur, is that normal? The reason I ask is that when riding, during certain situations it feels/sounds like my chain is rubbing against the front mech.

I also noticed that in certain gears it sounds like something is not quite lined up correctly, kind of hard to describe though. Just wondering if my front derailleur could be causing these issues.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There's always a bit of play in front derailleurs, and it increases slowly with wear over time. I don't think you have any problem, and what you're describing is probably the chain rubbing the cage as it when it comes from a larger than normal angle, like when toy ride crossed combinations.

You might want to check that the FD cage is correctly parallel to chainrings, and that the cable adjuster is correctly set for good trim (centering) on the chainrings.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Members who have read this thread: 0